Dept of Agriculture intercepted package to hawaii??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Dept of Agriculture intercepted package to hawaii???

not sure why... and how come... i purchased anubias nana petite from singapore... and my packaged was intercepted.. its locally available here in hawaii, i only won a bid for $2 with free shipping so i figured why not... is there anything i can do ? i got a violation notice but im not sure what it meant and if it will affect me??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
You should konw Hawaii is very strict and especially if it's labeled plant from another country. Either that or the form wasn't filled correctly to avoid this incident.

You're probably SOL regarding getting the package back.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
that was a BOLD risk you took and a lesson to be learned! If you dont have proper documents to avoid the ag dept than you are screwed cuz they will detain your plants and keep it their til they rot! never buy international unless you have proper documentation! I always buy local or mainland. GL

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
It's not about whether Anubias is available in HI or not. It's about the pests that could be brought in on the plants from a foreign country. Why not order from the states for a couple bucks more?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hawaii ag laws require inspection for importation into the state. The package needs to be marked "live plants" and should be opened and inspected by ag in the process of being delivered to you. See the Hawaii Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine Branch website for info.

For international shipments, a phytosanitary certificate is required from the country of origin and an import permit is required from APHIS. International shipments are under the jurisdiction of the US dept of Agriculture. The APHIS website has more info. I'm not sure of the penalties exactly nor how far they'd be willing to take it though.

Unfortunately I have an idea of the seller you bought from, they're pretty infamous for it and other issues. If it makes you feel any better you're not the first or probably last person that got burned.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You should really look into importing anything before ordering online. Department of agriculture plant and animal quaritine is really cracking down on importing live animals and plants. The DOA is really looking into the aquatic importing cause it's easy to by pass a lot into the states.

The fines are not cheap either if your caught importing illegally they can fine you starting $25,000 and 30 days in prison. I know several people that already got fine in the past month. On top of that they can get warrant to seize your tanks, fish and inverts. It's not a guarantee you will get it back.

Messed up. But it's good to do research on the laws.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Damn. That's a lot learned. Haha. Well I had luck the first time... I guess not this time. I have no problem buying local.. I was just curious becuz if was so cheap.

Finnex member #14
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yup. Not so cheap when you factor in all the necessary paperwork or the possible fines if done incorrectly. It's almost always going to be less money/time finding a domestic source.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloloboi01 View Post
You should really look into importing anything before ordering online. Department of agriculture plant and animal quaritine is really cracking down on importing live animals and plants. The DOA is really looking into the aquatic importing cause it's easy to by pass a lot into the states.

The fines are not cheap either if your caught importing illegally they can fine you starting $25,000 and 30 days in prison. I know several people that already got fine in the past month. On top of that they can get warrant to seize your tanks, fish and inverts. It's not a guarantee you will get it back.

Messed up. But it's good to do research on the laws.
I should be fine if I purchase lily pipes from Singapore tho right?

Finnex member #14
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_six View Post
You should konw Hawaii is very strict and especially if it's labeled plant from another country. Either that or the form wasn't filled correctly to avoid this incident.

You're probably SOL regarding getting the package back.
I actually don't know too much ! I normally buy local.. And as I said it was cheap so It didn't cross my mind something could go wrong.. Haha.

Finnex member #14
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrr89 View Post
Char, I think the State Ag dept is looking for live plant & animal importation and the purchase of glassware is not an issue for them. (it might be for another govt agency). If it makes you feel better, I've purchased lily pipes from China w/o any problems.

Eheim Pimp #540
Finnex Member #11
ADA Gentleman #6

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 04:28 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Liliy pipes are fine
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 04:36 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I actually don't know too much ! I normally buy local.. And as I said it was cheap so It didn't cross my mind something could go wrong.. Haha.
As I had said..... For future importing you should really research before ordering anything. As beast master has stated maybe a federal govn agency could confiscate the pipes for other reasons.

There is a guy on here daboss. He has a lot of local connections with all kinds of plants, fish, aquarium supplies. I picked up a 30 gallon long for dirt cheap from him. Ada soil $50, canister $100 in the box still whole co2 setup $100 just needed to refill the 10 lb tank. Plants woah that guy has a lot! But cheap he doesn't sell plants but if you want make deals. He gave me a a bunch of plants for like $30 java moss free since I grabbed so much from him. He recommended planted tank for advice.

Daboss knows the laws too. He actually might even work for department of agriculture.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 06:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Glassware products could be charged customs charges, it depends how the customs papers were filled out. If it says it's a gift you're allowed a certain dollar value. If it's called goods they could charge you.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloloboi01 View Post
As I had said..... For future importing you should really research before ordering anything. As beast master has stated maybe a federal govn agency could confiscate the pipes for other reasons.

There is a guy on here daboss. He has a lot of local connections with all kinds of plants, fish, aquarium supplies. I picked up a 30 gallon long for dirt cheap from him. Ada soil $50, canister $100 in the box still whole co2 setup $100 just needed to refill the 10 lb tank. Plants woah that guy has a lot! But cheap he doesn't sell plants but if you want make deals. He gave me a a bunch of plants for like $30 java moss free since I grabbed so much from him. He recommended planted tank for advice.

Daboss knows the laws too. He actually might even work for department of agriculture.
It's okay I have sources too. I just don't like to rely on my sources all the time so I seek info here. It's all curiosity

Finnex member #14

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode