Ordering online - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ordering online

I know that we all have the same problem that our fellow members from the mainland don't, and quite honestly don't understand. My question is how have the rest of you from Hawaii ordered fish from online? I'm looking to do an African cichlid all male peacock and haps tank, but can't really find that much of a selection here. Also if any of you have actually had luck finding a good pet store/s with African cichlid peacock and haps, do let me know.
P.S. this well also be in future reference for ordering any fish online as well for me.
Mahalo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Algae Grower

Many reasons. Because tropical fish thrive in the tropical streams here. We have a delicate, unique, ecosystem that is being destroyed by invasive species. Idiots buy monster fish without doing proper research and dump the fish into the stream when they out grow the tank or the owner gets bored. Here's another good article.
http://www.fhclassifieds.com/topic/1...s-into-hawaii/
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I understand the laws and why there in place, my question was that I wanted to know if anyone imports fish through any of the local fish stores and if anyone on Oahu knew of a pet store that has a good selection of African cichlid peacock and haps.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
You need a permit from the Hawaii dept of agriculture plant quarantine department to import fish. The permit must state what fish you are bringing in and the quantity of each fish. The fish need to be on the allowed list and the permit is like $20 for a one-time shipment. You can get more info from the department of agriculture plant quarantine division website.

As far as local stores, pets plus and moanalua pets both have pretty good selections of peacocks & a few haps. So does coral fish Hawaii and I think aquascapes may have some as well, possibly kalihi pets too. If you are going to get into those types of fish you need to stay out if the big box stores and go see the smaller local stores. You could also ask them to order you in some, it's probably easier and cheaper than getting permits for a few fish unless you're after some really exotic ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode