Fert Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fert Help

Aloha,

I've been dabbling in planted tanks for about a year now and have never dosed any ferts besides the odd dose of flourish comprehensive. What would you all suggest I start doing about ferts? Liquid?, Dry? Best place to get online or locally?

I have 2 tanks

1) Mr Aqua 17 gallon
Ehiem 2215, finnex fugeray, DIY co2, Eco complete substrate w/years worth of mulm topped with fluval shrimp stratum.

Assorted Anubias, crypt parva, micro sword, floating wisteria.
12 cardinals

2) Mr Aqua 12 gallon
Ehiem 2213, archea 36 watt pc, paintball co2 w/solenoid, 1.5 bbs
Aquasoil

Glosso, java fern lace, some sort of floaters
7 neon tertras

I'd consider the 17 gallon as a low-mid tech and the 12 as trying for high tech. What kind of fert program should I set for each?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (110.9 KB, 11 views)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank 1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (137.3 KB, 11 views)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
I'd try PPS-Pro: http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquari...r-package.html

Aside from the ferts all you need is a cheap digital food scale (found mine on Amazon for around 9$) and just a little bit of RO or distilled water (bought a jug at Times for a few dollars).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I do liquid for my mosses and Anubias. For Ground planted I use dry ferts which is kinda hard to find now.

I converted a lot of my tanks to underground filters which gives a great circulation for the dry ferts and seems to be doing good. I will up load pictures for you and send in private message
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Algae Grower

Use the calculator

I could only find micros in pet stores in Hawaii. Mostly everyone carries Florish comp and sometimes Trace. Petsmart in Mililani carries root tabs! But in new pouches, not the box. For Macros, I bought the dry ferts from a fellow Aquarium society member who had got them from GLA, but had recently switched to the ADA stuff.

I use the EI method to dose. (Links on the GLA site)I used http://calc.petalphile.com/mobile to mix up dry macro fertilizers with bottled water. I think the Safeway brand of bottled water is RO, (check the label) but I used a small Fiji bottle because the bottle was prettier.

Pre- mixed the macros, marked off proper dosage on cheap pipettes, labeled everything with directions on each bottle, hoping my husband would dose while I was on a business trip, but no such luck. But it makes it handy for me to figure out what to dose at *#%£ am in the morning. Alternate squirts of micros and macros every other day, rest a day, do a water change, it's easy.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm just starting EI on a new tank. Lots of info about it here and Tom Barr's site. You can get ferts from nilocg in the for sale section cheaper than about anywhere. Dry chems are much cheaper than pre-mixed liquids and pretty easy to dose all you need is a set of small measuring spoons (dash, pinch, etc) and/or a digital scale that goes down to 0.01 grams.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode