2Likes
  • 2 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
eco
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Ozone Generator

I have an unlimited access to a ozone generator. Is the water safe for my CRS tank? Doess anyone use water from a ozone generator for their aquarium? Advice please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
I'm curious to know what you mean by ozone generator? I've taken a Biochemistry class and know ozone is made up of O3 which is unstable (as I recall). also if you really want to make ozone, just create an electrical spark, but also keep in mind it will cause headaches if you breath it in. But if you are able to put ozone into water, I believe the x3 Oxygen atoms (ozone) will disperse into the water and thus increase the volume of Oxygen in your tank... but I'm only making an educated guess. Hopefully someone else will be able to give better insight on this topic. I'll also ask my Biochem Prof. and see what he says.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Ozone generators? I just did a quick google search... and I'm still puzzled. Why would you want to make ozone in your home? Does it have something to do with it's ability to break down organic molecules? I know your WBC make it... well, apparently the EPA doesn't really vouch for them.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

Is water a byproduct or something? How do these things work? I guess I can't answer your question... but can you answer mine?

RAOK club #37

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
eco
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay, now your scaring me! Lol check out this site and let me know what you think:http://www.cwtozone.com/ thanks for your help!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Planted Member

I skimmed through it and think its very interesting and logical... if you plan on using it for salt water then its good but requires constant checking on the O3 levels. If its for freshwater, then I don't think its necessary (just my personal opinion). From what I got off of the article was that: the slightest overdose or incorrect use of the O3 will lead to Huge problems throughout the tank (benefical bacteria will die).
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
eco
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good point. It was just a thought. Back to RO/ tap, this was working for me lately anyway. Like the saying goes: if it's not broken, don't fix it! Thank bro
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 04:40 AM
Planted Member

No problem bro! Oh and I checked with my Prof. and he mentioned UV lighting will do the same thing as Ozone generator (not same mechanics, but same idea of killing/removing unwanted parasites/ lifeforms). Just for future purposes..
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 09:08 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I wanted to buy an ozone generator for my new aquarium, I read many good reviews but I don't know where to buy it. Anyone have some recommendation?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 07:39 AM

Try to look at amazon, I think that at this platform you can find everything you need. Personally I bought my ozone generator there. But before getting one, you should know that there are many dangers around ozone generators, so you need to know a lot more about them. I have read many article about it at this platform damagecontrol-911.com. For example they have article about what is Ozone, how dangerous are ozone generators, how does ozone eliminate odors. Also they can help to choose the model of ozone generator, because there are many reviews. And also I found the complete guide to using ozone generators safely. After this you will be able to know everything about ozone generator.

Last edited by JessicaLawrence; 08-24-2020 at 01:16 PM. Reason: I want to write more
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 03:01 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Ozone increases ORP (oxidation reduction potential) and is sometimes used in reef aquariums to break down organics. I don't doubt that the same concept would work in freshwater, but I don't think the payoff would be great enough to warrant the expense for most people.
Deanna and evil8 like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Ozone is very tricky if it escapes into the tank. It will kill anything in your tank, in the right amount. The ozone generators I've seen for our hobby involve filters to try preventing this from happening and also try to control the amount created. Generally, they have not found a home in our hobby because of the dangers. UV sterilizers, on the other hand, are safe and kill pathogens as readily as ozone (they also increase the ORP). However, to do these things, you need a level one sterilizer, not the cheaper green algae killers.

I have such a UVS and am a big proponent of them. I never see disease of any type in my display tank since installing one ~15 years ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode