Crickets?!? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
Crickets?!?

Chirp!!! Chirp-Chirp!!! Chirp! Chirp-Chirp!!!

LOL! Was just checking to see if anybody still visited!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 08:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
Everyone is too busy cleaning the algae from their tanks!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Aloha Morbo,

LOL!!! Yeah, I should be doing the same as well. I did manage to see that there were 86 views, though! Hahahahaha!!!

Happy Friday!
BikerCarl

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 09:36 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
Yeah haha I noticed the views too. Charrr where you at?!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wondered what the whole cricket thing was about. LOL!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Aloha Cate,

LOL! I just couldn't resist. Glad to see that at people are at least taking time to check, though!

Happy Monday!
BikerCarl
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thought it was a post about feeding crickets to the fish. Which I do.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Aloha FishEggs!

Sorry to have deceived you! Yes, crickets are good protein and provide carotien to help with the coloration of your fish! Was this your intent, or just a cool side effect? What are you feeding the crickets to? How's the coloration coming out for them? Are you located in HI, or on the mainland? I didn't notice a location for you earlier.

Happy Tuesday!
BikerCarl
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Chirp! Chirp-Chirp!!! Chirp! Chirp-Chirp!!!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:07 PM
Algae Grower

Aloha
I feed them to some Bichirs I have. 4 are senegalis senegalis and the big one is a polypterus ornatipinnis. Not very colorful fish but cool prehistoric like fish. It's just some free treats that my son and I find in the yard along with worms. He likes to catch them and then watch the bichirs hunt them down. So do I tbh. quality father son time. He just turned 6.

Not only do I live on the mainland, I live all the way on the other side of it. Maryland. I honeymooned at Hanalei Bay on Kauai though. Didn't want to come back. Lol
I just use the Active Topics page and saw the crickets header but didn't look at forum location.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Aloha FishEggs,

Glad to hear that you and your son can enjoy your bichirs together! I used to have some b. ornatapinnis and conjugus. I had wanted to see if I could grab a delhezi! I love how they "hunt" and seem to crawl along the substrate so I can totally relate to you and your son's enjoyment!

Glad to hear that you were able to enjoy your special time out here in Hawaii! Maybe someday when your son is a little older, you'll have opportunity to come back and re-visit!

Happy Thursday!
BikerCarl
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:34 PM
Algae Grower

I had a delhezi before the ornate but he jumped out one night and didn't make it. I'll probably get another Delhezi someday when I have room to grow it out. The crickets float and it's real cool to see them go all jaws on it. Then they crawl around the bottom for the earth worms.

A return trip is in the some day maybe future plans for us. 2024 will be 20 years married. Maybe then.

Last edited by FishEggs; 05-18-2017 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Typo
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Aloha FishEggs,

Sorry to hear about your Delhezi. Must have been impressive to see them live and "in the hunt"! I do like way that they would go "all Jaws" on their floating prey and how they would occasionally come up to gulp some air as well. Enjoy them! We can't have them here in HI, but I can say that they were great fun back when I had them before moving home. I do hope that you and your family have the opportunity to return to HI in the future! Things have changed, I'm sure, but still paradise in the middle of the Pacific Ocean!

Happy Friday!
BikerCarl
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hi BikerCarl,
Been lurking on this forum off & on for a couple of years now. Have followed some of your posts but don't think I've ever participated in any topics till now.
I still maintain a few planted tanks but have slowly evolved into vivarium & PDF care. This got me side tracked into mini bromeliads then Pleurothallid orchids & now Nepenthes pitcher plants.
I also try to incorporate our local invasives like Neocardina shrimp, green swordtails & the auratus PDF in my set-ups.
Maybe someday we'll get together & talk shop over some brews!

Have a great Memorial Day,
Larry

PS on occasion I'll feed my PDF "Dixon" pinheads as a change of pace from ff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eheim Pimp #540
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Finnex Member #11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADA Gentleman #6

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Aloha Larry,

WOW! Sounds like you've got some nice set ups! Have you tried looking for PDF up in Manoa? It's been rumored that there are other types of PDF up there in the valley. Would be interesting to find out if the rumors are true! I have to admit I had to look up the pleurothallid orchids and found them to be quite interesting! Were they difficult to come by? Also, how's the care/upkeep for the nepenthes? Sounds like you've got a pretty cool collection!

Happy Tuesday!
Carl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode