• 2 Post By jellopuddinpop
  • 2 Post By ice9
  • 4 Post By katas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amanos in CT?

Anyone know a reputable place to get Amanos in CT? (New Haven area, but willing to drive)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 02:02 PM
Planted Member

Wet Pets in Vernon has plenty on hand all the time.

"It's not so much about keeping fish or plants, it's about keeping clean water."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 07:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Surprisingly Petco in Norwalk carries Amano, the last time I was there 2-3 weeks ago they had about 20+ Amanos ( I think Petco calls them Japanese Algae shrimp). Good luck! As always, call ahead if you are heading over.

R
ice9 and ice9 like this.

-Riverboa

|ADA120P|Aquavas90|ADA60P|Ecopico|

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by katas View Post
Wet Pets in Vernon has plenty on hand all the time.
Do you know if they ever have grown Amano Shrimp? Everywhere I've found locally has juveniles that are barely a half inch long and end up as very expensive fish food.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 12:35 AM
Planted Member

We tend to get a mix of sizes though a majority of which are juveniles. New order should come in a week or so. Can let you know as soon as they come in if you would like.

"It's not so much about keeping fish or plants, it's about keeping clean water."

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:45 PM
Planted Member

Have you tried Blake's Aqua Den in Meriden? I think they normally have Amanos. Worldwide might. I don't think Slither & Swim normally has a shrimp. I know Petco does have them in from time to time also.

-DAN

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The past couple times I went in, Worldwide didn't have any.

The Petco in Norwalk (the one on Westport Ave) said they *always* stock them - I grabbed 4, and they probably had about 10 or more at the time. He also said the Petco in Westport will generally have them as well.

I'd also say they were 1" or 1.5" - a nice size - I saw one chase off a curious cory, so don't think they'll become snacks.

Last edited by ice9; 06-19-2017 at 12:12 AM. Reason: added size
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by katas View Post
We tend to get a mix of sizes though a majority of which are juveniles. New order should come in a week or so. Can let you know as soon as they come in if you would like.
Are you with Wet Pets? And yes, please! I'm really trying to get my hands on adults. It's painful buying juveniles and then seeing an angel swimming around with a shrimp tail sticking out of its mouth.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:22 AM
Planted Member

Yes, work there part time on the side. How many are you looking for?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, that's kind of a tricky question to answer right not to be honest. I just set up a brand new 125g a couple of weeks ago, and was expecting a lot more algae than I've gotten. For the time being, I'm feeding vegetables in hope that I get some algae eventually, but if not, then I'm actually not in the market right now. I thought about it since my last post, and I need to let this tank mature a little before I add any more cleanup crew.

Sorry for the confusion!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

Amano's are not strictly algae eaters and need more than algae in their diet, They do quite well without an algae filled tank. They eat left over food and decaying plant matter and are true scavengers.

Dan
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Exactly. I'm feeding a varied vegetarian diet for the amanos, otos, and SAEs. I honestly was predicting a lot more problems with this new startup, but haven't had any (knock on wood)

Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
Amano's are not strictly algae eaters and need more than algae in their diet, They do quite well without an algae filled tank. They eat left over food and decaying plant matter and are true scavengers.
That they are - they are fun to watch. I dropped in a few mini wafers for my corys, and within seconds one of the amanos went over, grabbed one, and has been hiding under the log munching on it.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 03:41 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
Are you with Wet Pets? And yes, please! I'm really trying to get my hands on adults. It's painful buying juveniles and then seeing an angel swimming around with a shrimp tail sticking out of its mouth.

Per your request! More coming in the same size or smaller tomorrow afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2815.jpg (80.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2816.jpg (70.1 KB, 4 views)
ice9, ice9, Dman911 and 1 others like this.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 05:51 AM
Algae Grower

Newington petco had some at a decent size at least an inch if not an inch and a half

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode