Where to get CO2 refills in SF - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Where to get CO2 refills in SF

I've been searching for a place that does CO2 refills and not the tank swap. Anyone have any ideas, etc. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:02 PM
planted tank sickness

PTrader: (14/100%)
AIRGAS, over near the ball park. just call first, and make sure they will swap out. there are 2 locations in SF, one will help, one doesn't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanut415 View Post
AIRGAS, over near the ball park. just call first, and make sure they will swap out. there are 2 locations in SF, one will help, one doesn't.
alfbacca was making sure that the place DIDN'T swap out. =)

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 04:56 AM
planted tank sickness

ahahaaa..... i must have read that wrong.

the only one in the city i know of is the beer place on clement street and 14th or 16th?. it takes a few days tho.
and the old guy talks FOREVER, and he assumes the co2 is gonna be put to illicit purposes since you don't buy any hops or grains from him at the same time. but he will still acommodate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
ahahaaa..... i must have read that wrong.

the only one in the city i know of is the beer place on clement street and 14th or 16th?. it takes a few days tho.
and the old guy talks FOREVER, and he assumes the co2 is gonna be put to illicit purposes since you don't buy any hops or grains from him at the same time. but he will still acommodate.

What could you possibly do with CO2 that's illegal? Put out fires? =P
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:43 AM
planted tank sickness

you could.......grow marijuana. and lots of people around here do.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
you could.......grow marijuana. and lots of people around here do.
Ooh, hahaha. Good point. Why the hell didn't I think of that? I used to grow hydroponic emersed plants (no Mary Jane) with a lid and pumped CO2 into there. LOL.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nobody fills on spot in the City.
I use International Fire, Inc, 765 Pennsylvania st. (west side of Potrero Hill);
drop off on Monday, pick up on Thursday. Prices are under $20 and nobody asks questions.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Over here, Airgas does a good job. I drop off my tank in the morning, and get it back at lunchtime. They probably think I am stupid when I tell them it's for my fish tank.

Once I had a leak that emptied out my tank in two days. They gave me a free refill!

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
I think it is illegal to fill on spot in SF. It is just not allowed.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 08:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Any update on this in 2016? I called around to a bunch of beverage, welding and gas supply. So far I've only found what's been mentioned on this thread: Airgas in Portrero, and International Fire courtesy of Tino. FYI International raised their prices, it seems to be $35 to refill 10lb. or less cylinder.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

anyone know of anyone in the east bay that fills on spot?

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBdirtbag View Post
anyone know of anyone in the east bay that fills on spot?
This is a little bit dated, but I think the San Leandro place mentioned is still around: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/39...-east-bay.html
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 08:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino View Post
This is a little bit dated, but I think the San Leandro place mentioned is still around: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/39...-east-bay.html
Thanks for referencing that thread @Tino, I must have missed it somehow. I just called Hansen Fire Equipment and they spot-refill (not swap) a 5# and 10# for $35/45 respectively. Only open M-F though so it's additional hassle/traffic but I much prefer a refill than swapping out for a tank of unknown origin/usage.

Tino, do you still go to Hansen from the city?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibebian View Post
Tino, do you still go to Hansen from the city?
No, not in a very long time. I don't need a lot of CO2 these days, so I just use a paintball set up, which, alas, can also be a pain to refill.
ibebian and ibebian like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode