Northern California Aquarium Stores - The Planted Tank Forum
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Northern California Aquarium Stores

The local fish store in Sacramento, California that I frequent is closed due to storm/water damage. We have several others in the area, but not worth going to.
I was wondering what stores others recommend in Northern California? Hopefully stores that have a good selection of plants and freshwater fish.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was surprised Aqua Workz temporary closed down. I was there a few weeks ago, the demo contractor was there and the doors were so I looked inside, what a mess!

Recommended LFSs worth visiting:

Albany Tropical Fish(Albany, near Berkeley), Neptune's Aquatics(San Jose), Aqua Forest Aquarium(San Francisco) and Ocean Aquarium(San Francisco). With that said, all these places sell emersed plants(Ocean may be the exception), nothing submerged, at least from what I've seen.

For plants, 95% I purchase from folks here at TPT who are selling or if I like what I see in someone's tank journal I'll ask if they'll send me some after their next trim. Most of us probably hate to throw away trimmings and I'd much prefer to ship them as opposed to throwing them out.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Ken!

Yeah, I need to get some plants- thanks for the recommendations- Ill check these places out.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have you been to:

Aquarium & Reptile Depot

8201 Auburn Blvd, Citrus Heights, CA 95610

From all the stores I visited around the town this one impressed me the most.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:54 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
@Discusluv, let's connect, I have some plants for you.

AquaWorkz being closed took some motivation out of my 4hr+ drive to Sacramento but there are certainly some people I would love to see in the area. Or I can always ship.

AFA and Albany Aquarium do sell submerged plants. The selection at AFA is usually better but every time I've been there the plants had too much algae for my taste.

I've been somewhat house bound for the last couple of months, low energy level and such, but I'm now itching for a drive. Maybe a tour of LFS is what I need.

Aquarium Depo is a decent LFS, arguably with the lowest lifestock prices. A fun place to visit. Their plant selection is rather limited and their fresh water fish did not look that healthy to me,
Ken Keating1 and Discusluv like this.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
@Discusluv, let's connect, I have some plants for you.

AquaWorkz being closed took some motivation out of my 4hr+ drive to Sacramento but there are certainly some people I would love to see in the area. Or I can always ship.

AFA and Albany Aquarium do sell submerged plants. The selection at AFA is usually better but every time I've been there the plants had too much algae for my taste.

I've been somewhat house bound for the last couple of months, low energy level and such, but I'm now itching for a drive. Maybe a tour of LFS is what I need.

Aquarium Depo is a decent LFS, arguably with the lowest lifestock prices. A fun place to visit. Their plant selection is rather limited and their fresh water fish did not look that healthy to me,
Sounds great to me.
Just let me know when you feel up to it. That Albany Aquarium store does look like a nice place.
I have been to Aquarium Depot- I was not impressed with the fish stock. But, there were a few tanks with dead fish floating at the time. If you would like to meet here and look around again Im willing to give it another look.

Or, if you would like to take a drive to Albany aquarium Im up for that as well.

P.s Im sorry you are still not feeling well. Hope you will be better soon.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:20 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I seem to remember promising a BBQ and open house at some point this summer. I'm about a 45 minute drive from AquaLabAquaria or Albany Aquarium. Sort of in the middle. If there's interest I'd be happy to host with a couple weeks notice to get the tanks in shape.

Brisquit? Ribs? Tri-tip? Pulled pork? I'm not a baker but got the meat recipes down :-) Pies would be welcome!
OVT, Ken Keating1 and Discusluv like this.

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botia dude View Post
I seem to remember promising a BBQ and open house at some point this summer. I'm about a 45 minute drive from AquaLabAquaria or Albany Aquarium. Sort of in the middle. If there's interest I'd be happy to host with a couple weeks notice to get the tanks in shape.

Brisquit? Ribs? Tri-tip? Pulled pork? I'm not a baker but got the meat recipes down :-) Pies would be welcome!
Im down!! @OVT! Look someone will BBQ for us! I will definitely bring pies
Ken Keating1 likes this.

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:25 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

So Jelly.....nothing better then a summer bbq with some good friends and to top it off with the +of plants
Discusluv likes this.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:55 AM
Algae Grower

Have you guys visited Ocean Aquarium? I'm on the other side of the country, but if I made an SF visit, I would have to check it out.

Cheers
Discusluv likes this.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:19 PM
RCB
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
Have you guys visited Ocean Aquarium? I'm on the other side of the country, but if I made an SF visit, I would have to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfAJ3ITS3Nw

Cheers

Amazing place to say the least. Ive spent hours upon hours browsing there. Justin is quite knowledgeable and more than willing to help.
Discusluv likes this.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:18 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
@Botia dude, how can one refuse your invitation? I'm in and can fill out the rest of the menu. I have some idea what edibles @Discusluv would bring.

Date and time?
Ken Keating1 and Discusluv like this.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
@Botia dude, how can one refuse your invitation? I'm in and can fill out the rest of the menu. I have some idea what edibles @Discusluv would bring.

Date and time?
You could but we'd both be sad haha. Let's start planning it. I'm pretty open weekend after next through the end of July. What date looks good for the majority of you?

BBQ ideas:

Pulled pork sammiches. Someone have a stupendous coleslaw recipe to go with it?

Pork ribs

Whole smoked chicken/s and spicy pork snausages

Brisket

I can finish hot side dishes like mac & cheese or taters on the smoker if desired
ipkiss and Discusluv like this.

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you so much for hosting us! I say you pick a date/time that is best for you and we will be there. The only time I wont be available is the last week in July.

Any of those BBQ meat ideas would be great! The pulled pork sandwiches is right up my alley- but, I would love any of those other choices.

I will bring a couple pies, coleslaw, and some baked beans. This can go with anything.

@Ken keating 1 and @aquascape? Hope that you both will be able to make it.

Any other Northern California members interested in an aquarium store tour, BBQ, and talk of all things aquarium?

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:25 PM
Algae Grower

Just a FYI. Neptune's Aquatics in San Jose is my LFS and it's been pretty reliable. They get plants twice a week I think? Thursdays for sure, and if you want anything special you need to be there on Thursday.
Come Saturday, the pickings are slim.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode