The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Stocking decisions! :D
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
design_desire
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Stocking decisions! :D

Hey guys,

I almost have everything I need to start setting up my planted aquarium!

I feel like now would be a good time to start researching and making some decisions as to which species of fish I will ultimately add once the tank is established and grown.

Bare in mind I have limited knowledge of fish species, so if there's something you think I should look into, please suggest it.

Here's my current short list (I hope common names are OK):
- Neon Tetra
- Mosquito Rasbora
- Kuhli Loach
- Crystal Red Shrimp
- Glass Catfish

Now before anyone says anything, I am obviously not suggesting I have all of those fish in one little tank haha. They merely encompass a few different scenarios I have running around my head.

To explain, ideally I would love to have some fish at every level of the aquarium. The tank will be Iwagumi styled and completely carpeted in HC with a few medium height plants around the rocks.

I am thinking a max of 3 species; one top, one middle, one bottom (maybe).

If I used the glass catfish, I would not get anything else except a bottom feeder like the loaches. The thing is, I want some vibrant colour to contrast the green carpet. (the more exotic and vibrant the colour, the better! :P)

My front running idea (and one I am not 100% sure of), would be either the tetras or rasboras, plus the loaches and the shrimp. It might not necessarily satisfy the 'all levels' idea, but then again, there might be some other species that would go well in that situation.

Anyway, if anyone out there has any suggestions for small shoaling fish that are any colour except red, I would be very keen to hear them!

It should also be noted that I don't really want to be overrun with shrimp either, so fish species that will use any baby shrimp as live food would also be awesome.

Thanks heaps in advance! =]

Past time tropical fish keeper. Re-engaging by tackling the planted aquarium!

Starting Small!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Needs updating...

Progress: Algae is (finally) under control with new plants that are establishing well. I think I'm about to start fertilising... :S

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome