List of all Fish stores in Arkansas - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gersh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
List of all Fish stores in Arkansas

I thought that we might want to make a list of all stores in Arkansas that sell fish/plants/corals/etc. This list should not include all the Petco's and Petsmart's and Walmart's. Rather, please list the store name, the store's city and address, approximately what part of Arkansas the store is in, a brief description of what to expect when going there, and how much you like/dislike it (please explain why.)

I'll start:
North Side Aquatics: 7610 Counts Massie Rd. Maumelle, Arkansas 72113
Central Arkansas.
Expect to find corals, plants, saltwater fish, freshwater fish, and pond plants/ fish, with a large selection of fertilizers and foods. Very good nano freshwater fish selection, and there are always nice fish and plants in. I like this store, because the staff are helpful and friendly, and actually know what they're doing. The only disadvantages I find are that the staff is usually very busy on Saturdays when it gets a large influx of aquarists.
Update: North Side Aquatics has closed.

Last edited by ichthyogeek; 04-18-2015 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Store closing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Worlds Underwater.
2105 Creek View #B, Fayetteville, AR 72704
(479) 521-7258

Plenty of Salt Water/Freshwater species and even some rarity items in both categories. Call ahead if you are in need. They can usually get what you're looking for. They are kind of light on fertilizer for plants. They carry Seachem but not any dry fertilizers. They usually order one massive plant order a month. If you're looking for something special, again, call ahead and see if they have or can get it put on the next order. Staff is very friendly from my past experiences going into the store and calling. You won't find a lot of things to do with CO2 or Aquascaping tools. Just a few odds ball things here in there sometimes like used kits or generic diffusers and such. They don't do CO2 refills. Overall this is a great store. I really enjoy just looking around and hanging out there when I get the chance. If you have any specific questions, PM me and I'll try to help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Green Thumb Garden Center: 28025 Nichols Loop Rd, Little Rock AR 72223
Central Arkansas
PLANTS. There are all sorts of pond plants here. I was only there for a short period of time, but my general impression of the place was very good. It's a bit off the beaten path, but they have many pond plants for sale. From what I could tell, they also had Dainichi products, as well as a few fish. They also had a couple dozen containers of water lotus there as well. Be warned, they have cats, and they aren't afraid of getting up close and personal.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:03 AM
Algae Grower

I believe northside aquatics has closed down. I have pet country in Conway which they dont have alot in stock, they have ordered for me before.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Which has already been noted...quite a while ago...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 07:00 AM
Algae Grower

Sorry, didnt see that part til after i posted. Had my blonde moment for the day ☺
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The Fish Bowl: 2117 E Race Ave, Searcy, Arkansas 72143
Central (North-East-ish) Arkansas
Positives: Kind of rare, sorta exotic fish, and a relatively decent array of dry foods, but its mostly Omega One, both dry and frozen foods. They sometimes have good pieces of Malaysian driftwood in stock. They have a relatively big indoor pond for koi/goldfish. The store goes into both salt and freshwater, and around half of the store is dedicated to fish; the other half is for birds, reptiles, amphibians, insects, small mammals, etc. Also sells aquariums.

Negatives: ... Ok, first off, the store sells some very big fish in its very tiny tanks (Aros, "teacup" stingrays, oscars, large angels; all in tanks that are about 15 gallons). Some of the employees seem knowledgeable, but when I asked one for the scientific name of the teacup stingrays, she told me that I could go look it up. I saw a neon dottyback (saltwater) that can't have been bigger than a quarter of an inch, in a tank of seahorses and full grown pyjama cardinals. The corals are very expensive, and the selection of plants is...abysmal.

Ok, I feel the need to rant a little bit here. You don't keep arowanas in 15 gallon tanks, especially when the arowana is about half the length of the aquarium and has to turn around constantly. If you have a fish, and somebody asks for the scientific name, you don't just tell them to "look it up". Teacup ray-a generic name for ALL STINGRAYS; they also don't max out at 12-18 inch diameters (at least most of them). Paradise fish are NOT gouramis (saw them labelled as such). And for the love of all things fishy, you do not sell a common pleco to a person who's starting with a 10 gallon tank, just for it to eat algae!!!! The inch of fish rule is defunct, and neon tetras don't max out at just one inch! I don't remember ADF's being able to grow to "the size of a softball, and able to jump out of a tank", last I checked, they stayed small. When I saw what looked like a painted glassfish, the employee I asked said "look at the labels" which were just sharpie, and did not note that they had painted glassfish. More importantly, these people are still selling dyed fish. The corals are way too expensive. Juvenile ocellaris clowns are not meant to be housed with harlequin tuskfish. Pearl gouramis are not meant to be housed with opaline, gold, and "paradise" gouramis. Saltwater tanks don't just take 30 days to be ready for a saltwater fish. They don't keep up with people asking for special orders of fish, even those as simple as pygmy and panda corydoras. They still sell feeder fish. Half of the fish they sell, I don't feel should go in the normal aquarists aquarium (Mono sebae, freshwater flounder, teacup rays, ropefish, severums, and other fish). Disclaimer: as far as I know, and from what I've observed and experienced, this is not libel, as everything I have typed in the above, has been true. Should the store being described change in the future for the better, I will edit this post. Aquarists of Arkansas, please don't bother coming to visit here, it's really not worth your time.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthyogeek View Post
The Fish Bowl: 2117 E Race Ave, Searcy, Arkansas 72143
Central (North-East-ish) Arkansas
Positives: Kind of rare, sorta exotic fish, and a relatively decent array of dry foods, but its mostly Omega One, both dry and frozen foods. They sometimes have good pieces of Malaysian driftwood in stock. They have a relatively big indoor pond for koi/goldfish. The store goes into both salt and freshwater, and around half of the store is dedicated to fish; the other half is for birds, reptiles, amphibians, insects, small mammals, etc. Also sells aquariums.

Negatives: ... Ok, first off, the store sells some very big fish in its very tiny tanks (Aros, "teacup" stingrays, oscars, large angels; all in tanks that are about 15 gallons). Some of the employees seem knowledgeable, but when I asked one for the scientific name of the teacup stingrays, she told me that I could go look it up. I saw a neon dottyback (saltwater) that can't have been bigger than a quarter of an inch, in a tank of seahorses and full grown pyjama cardinals. The corals are very expensive, and the selection of plants is...abysmal.

Ok, I feel the need to rant a little bit here. You don't keep arowanas in 15 gallon tanks, especially when the arowana is about half the length of the aquarium and has to turn around constantly. If you have a fish, and somebody asks for the scientific name, you don't just tell them to "look it up". Teacup ray-a generic name for ALL STINGRAYS; they also don't max out at 12-18 inch diameters (at least most of them). Paradise fish are NOT gouramis (saw them labelled as such). And for the love of all things fishy, you do not sell a common pleco to a person who's starting with a 10 gallon tank, just for it to eat algae!!!! The inch of fish rule is defunct, and neon tetras don't max out at just one inch! I don't remember ADF's being able to grow to "the size of a softball, and able to jump out of a tank", last I checked, they stayed small. When I saw what looked like a painted glassfish, the employee I asked said "look at the labels" which were just sharpie, and did not note that they had painted glassfish. More importantly, these people are still selling dyed fish. The corals are way too expensive. Juvenile ocellaris clowns are not meant to be housed with harlequin tuskfish. Pearl gouramis are not meant to be housed with opaline, gold, and "paradise" gouramis. Saltwater tanks don't just take 30 days to be ready for a saltwater fish. They don't keep up with people asking for special orders of fish, even those as simple as pygmy and panda corydoras. They still sell feeder fish. Half of the fish they sell, I don't feel should go in the normal aquarists aquarium (Mono sebae, freshwater flounder, teacup rays, ropefish, severums, and other fish). Disclaimer: as far as I know, and from what I've observed and experienced, this is not libel, as everything I have typed in the above, has been true. Should the store being described change in the future for the better, I will edit this post. Aquarists of Arkansas, please don't bother coming to visit here, it's really not worth your time.
Wow that's awful…Definitely won't be checking this place out until I hear things have turned around…if they ever do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Paradise Pets: 116 N Market St. Benton, Arkansas 72015
Central Arkansas.
VERY good small general fish store, worth a stop if you're close to Benton. About half of the store is dedicated to fish/products, and the other half is general pet store (herps, birds, small mammals, etc). The store's pretty clean, and has a very nice selection of dry goods and fish. I definitely saw some Hikari brand, as well as Rod's food. In terms of live food, they only carry rosy red minnows. There's also a nice selection of equipment in the store. THE FISH TANKS. All of the freshwater tanks run off their own undergravel filters by the looks of it, and they're sooooo clean. The fish all look healthy, and there are even some more exotic small-tank friendly species in stock(true freshwater pufferfish, hockey tetras, etc.). I was actually here to get some saltwater stuff, which I won't bore you with. I couldn't find any plants, nor nano species like shrimp, boraras, pygmy corydoras, etc., but when I enquired about orchid dottyback availability, the worker (who seemed quite knowledgable) did say that you can call in on Wednesdays to see if a species is available, and it seems that they'll order it for you to arrive on Friday!!!! Unfortunately, when I asked about cherry shrimp, he did say that they were currently selling for about 6-8$ (in contrast with NorthSide Aquatics' old $2/shrimp) when available. Overall impression: very, very, very good.

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 01:21 PM
Algae Grower

The Fish Tank
Product: Cater's mostly to salt water hobbyists, but also has a very good selection of fresh water. Owner is great about finding anything they don't currently stock and getting it to you. Plants are healthy, but not very many currently. Recently started more aquascaping materials (rocks, wood, etc.)
Staff: Very knowledgeable and well versed in both salt and freshwater. Owner is hilarious and will make you great deals (gave me a couple extra corys free so they wouldn't be alone in the store tank).
Cons: Like stated above, they have a stronger leaning toward Salt water, but can't blame them since the area seems to be obsessed with it. Some dry goods (pumps, lights, etc.) seem a little dated, but food and additives are new.
ichthyogeek likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode