Iron deficient java fern - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Iron deficient java fern

A couple of weeks ago, my java fern started showing the classic symptoms of iron deficiency-- dark green veins on really pale new growth. I piddled around for about a week before getting to the lfs for some Flourish Iron and have been dosing heavily for the last week, but have yet to see any response, except from my amanos, who get really active for several minutes after dosing. How long should it take for the color to even out once I get my iron levels back up?

Well, at least my algae is pearling...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 03:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If the leaves turn yellow, but the viens remain green then you have a manganese deficiency. In this is the case you need to add trace element fert.

If the leaves & viens turn pale yellow, then glassy, and then die you have a iron deficiency. In this case you need to add iron.

I would be careful about dosing iron heavily because you will end up over dosing and have an algae bloom. Dose according to the bottles labeled directions.

I would prune/cut the leaves off the Java fern that are turning yellow and then new growth will appear. Go by what your new growth does to determine dosing.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ah-- excess iron can actually contribute to manganese deficiency by blocking uptake, http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/ah_main/dec1997.html. Time for a mega water change.

Well, at least my algae is pearling...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode