Micro Sag not doing very well... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to GraemeK
Micro Sag not doing very well...

Back to my micro sag questions...

A lot has gone on with my aqauium since my last post on this topic and i thought i'd get your opinion on what to do with my micro sag as it still isnt doing anything and starting to look very unhappy! Its been in the tank for about 4 months now and only sent out some minor runners.

All my other plants, crypts, vallis, java ferns, hydrophillia, ludwiga? etc are doing very well.

Here are my complete plant stats so you understand the condition the sag is currently under:

60watts over 34 US gallons for 10 hours

CO2 at 17ppm

PH 7.2

Ammonia 0ppm

KH 160ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 7ppm

Phosphate 1ppm

Iron .25ppm

The temperature at the moment is around 78-80. The substrate which i layed down last week is JBL's Aquabasis topped with fine gravel. The micro sag is obviously planted on top in the gravel and no roots have yet hit the rich substrate below.

I'm dosing KNO3 as per my test kit readings to give me a nitrate reading of 5-10ppm and dosing TMG twice a week at half dose....

Can you tell me what i can improve if anything and why the sag is dying away and the remaining plants are loving it!!?

cheers,

Graeme.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 02:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

I Dwarf Sag in a 55G tank with a little over 2WPG and it grows very slow compared to my other plants. In my case I belive the reason is not enough light for max growth.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to GraemeK
yeah i think light could be my problem. i have 60watts over the 34 gallons and its quite bright but the position of the tubes means that the front gets less light than the middle or back. Because of the tank i can do little about this which is a shame. I've been advised to maybe increase the light to 12-14 hours a day opposed to my current 10 and see what differance this makes...

I'm feeding more regularly now as well so this may be the key.

All my other plants are doing well but their mainly crypts in the front and middle which can do with less light. My hydrophillia and ludwiga? do well at the back as there is more light from the extra tube but again the lower leaves sheg when the top gets more dense... zzzzzzzz

i'm thinking about a new tank next year which will have some custom lighting in it and external filters but at the moment i'm stuck with the built in systems.

Graeme.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode