Amazon Frogbit tips? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amazon Frogbit tips?

Sometimes I feel like no matter what I do nothing will grow for me. :/

About two weeks ago I ordered some amazon frogbit, which I've read to be a very easy plant to grow quickly. I received it in very good condition and simply let it float, hoping it would take off. Since then, I've noticed some of it melting away and no growth in general. The only explanation I can come up with is acclimation because the water is good, I have a Finnex 24/7+, etc. Really not sure what it could be. I dose Excel and Flourish but read that isn't even necessary since this plant gets CO2 from the air. I've taken two pics of what I assume to be rotting plants. This is all of it that I have. Any tips would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 09:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I found that less water movement the better, I also cut off bad looking leaves. I have high light co2 injection. Since I reduced surface agitation the roots have grown a lot longer. Not really sure why yours isn't doing so well.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 09:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have them in several tanks and they are iffy in most. Does well in some.

Definitely do not like a covered tank. Rots pretty fast in these.
Likes the tank with good water movement (but it is corralled in that tank otherwise blown about too much). Or non-corralled with gently moving water also good.
Doesn't like temps below 68 degrees.
Light doesn't seem to matter.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Might have a need for complete ferts, Flourish is not complete.
If you get a few Capsules of Osmocote+ and open one and just put a couple(2) of the beads in your filter it will add some complete ferts to the water.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 09:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
I dose gluteraldehyde (same as in excel) and have found that sometimes the roots can be affected by it. It's possible that this is what you are experiencing. I have also had it go through a die-off where some of the leaves will be lost but the others will survive and will produce more plantlets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 12:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I've kept Frogbit in a low light, no tech, covered aquarium, and had great results. I would remove a 24"x10" section of it and RAOK it off every week or two. Give it some time. Two weeks is hardly enough for it to adjust from shipping and such. You'll be looking back at this and laugh when you are literally dumping this in the trash because you can't give it away fast enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 12:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Macro nutrients? Flourish doesn't have any macros, just micros. And excel will not do much for floaters.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Might have a need for complete ferts, Flourish is not complete.
If you get a few Capsules of Osmocote+ and open one and just put a couple(2) of the beads in your filter it will add some complete ferts to the water.
I don't know honestly, but this sounds like it might be too much? When I first setup my tank I was having trouble with ridiculously high ammonia levels and it turns out my substrate was too thin at 3/4" and the Osmocote was leeching out from under the substrate causing it. I had to tear it down and redo it with deeper substrate.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8-...ml#post8062673
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've got frogbit in my excel dosed, covered tank. Experienced die off in the beginning but now they're all growing well.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Havent had experience with frogbit but I know new plants always take a while to get going and they tend to melt back to adjust to the water. How long ago did you get the plants?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 06:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I found frogbit took a while to acclimate for my tanks (about a month). Once it got acclimated, it just exploded. I would pull out 1/3-1/2 a tank twice a week.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Frogbit gets no nutrients from the water if you aren't dosing ferts in the water.
Some likely leaches from the sub if you still have some Osmocote+ in there.
Part of xecess ammonia may have been that you did not follow the directions for the Osmocote+. If the tank is 12" front to back, you use one row of capsules starting" from
one end and do one row from end to end at 6" apart from each other.
If 18" front to back then two rows 6" from front on the first and 6" from the back on the second row. But5 you start 6" from each end.
But when I said two in the filter I was talking about the individual beads in those capsules. Only two of those beads.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 08:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I too always assumed frogbit would just take off in any tank and I've watched it die in various setups of mine always with lots of water movement and running HOB filters. I recently got a hold of some and tossed it into one of my neglected 10 gallon tanks with nothing but a heater and a sponge filter. The stuff grows like crazy now! So I'm chalking this up to the vigorous water movement being the problem int he past. Now that it can just float undisturbed it seems to thrive!

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
Macro nutrients? Flourish doesn't have any macros, just micros. And excel will not do much for floaters.
Are there any macro nutrients that come in liquid form? I'm still new to all of this. :P

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode