How do I grow moss on Driftwood? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do I grow moss on Driftwood?

Hi:

I see pics all the time that people have where the moss is just covering the driftwood. Do they just tie it by using like fishing like and just wrapping it around the wood a million times?

On another note, I have been trying to grow Taiwan Moss in a low light tank. I have it tied down and this stuff just doesn't grow at all.

Thanks.

dbw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think most of the time its just tied down with either sewing thread or fishing line. I used fishing line to tie down anubias and after a year or so it's still there. Thread would have rotted away after a few weeks at which point the moss should have taken hold anyway.

I can't help with slow growing plants, sorry.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I have java moss, taiwan moss, and flame moss tied to driftwood I use black sewing thread. I place the moss on the driftwood and wrap the thread around it loosely and tie it off. Within a couple weeks it grabs hold of the driftwood. I find it easily to do this out of the water. Moss likes cooler temperatures, if your having trouble with it maybe your tanks to warmer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 09:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
1. Get one of those shower pouf things (green would be a good color).
2. Place moss over driftwood.
3. Stretch and wrap some of the pouf around the driftwood and tie underneath with thread or fishing line.

Some people can tie moss freehand over the driftwood, like greaser84, but I always end up yelling choice words at the moss when it decides to float away when I place the driftwood back into the tank.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi:

My tank is generally balmy, so maybe that is true about the cooler temperatures. It sits routinely at 79 degrees - normally.

Great ideas. What do you mean about doing it out of the water? Do you mean growing the moss out of the water? Right now I am doing a dry start on a tank. Should I tie the moss around the driftwood and put it in the dry start tank to have it grow out of the aquarium first?

Thanks.

dbw27
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 10:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I use very lightweight fishing line. Works great.
[/URL]

[/URL]

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas
David Crockett
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lonestarbandit; 07-27-2014 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Pics
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 10:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
By out of the tank, we meant taking the driftwood out of the tank and attaching the moss, then placing back in the tank. If you are doing a dry start, look into this:
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/thre...mountain.6000/
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Low poundage clear fishing line (very thin and flexible). Cut long pieces, tie onto wood, add moss, wrap line around moss and tie off..repeat. The thin clear line is invisible in the moss and won't break down overtime like thread.
1st day right after setting up, April:

July: no ferts just shrimp poo and light
danbayne and danbayne like this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
superglue makes things very easy, thats my trick

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I tied moss and fern on to a piece of dw about 3 yrs ago and put it in my goldfish tank. The plants were all eaten in about 1 mth put the piece of black thread is still there. I don't know why I never took it off.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
If I am trying to get really even coverage, I tie it on with cotton string. Well, I wrap it. If you miss spot, or you have it fall off, you can wrap on one side, then just place on the other and go around again. I just keep going around until it's pretty even.

For placing in a smaller spot, or when the wood is flat so it will expand evenly over the wood, I just superglue. Superglue is easier, and can be done underwater, after the fact as well.

-Matt

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 05:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

I personally use fishing line, as I find it the easiest to work through vs. cotton thread. I've also used extra netting I had from the ceramic media for my AC filter. Both work like a charm. Superglue works, but I found it way too messy. I wrap the moss pretty tight, and thoroughly too, never had anything slip out.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 05:48 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
I prefer cotton thread over fishing line, to me it's easier to work with, and I like the fact that it eventually rots and disappears vs being there forever. Just a personal preference though, either works fine.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 06:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrubich View Post
1. Get one of those shower pouf things (green would be a good color).
2. Place moss over driftwood.
3. Stretch and wrap some of the pouf around the driftwood and tie underneath with thread or fishing line.

Some people can tie moss freehand over the driftwood, like greaser84, but I always end up yelling choice words at the moss when it decides to float away when I place the driftwood back into the tank.
Best answer IMO. I use it and love it. $4 at Walmart. One will last you forever. I use zip ties on mine.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 11:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What about if you have a deep tank with a heavy piece of wood that you want to attach moss to, and don't feel like removing the wood out of the water? What would be a good way for me to attach the moss to it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode