Propagating Java Fern - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Propagating Java Fern

Hi Guys,

I have seen the threads here saying that java ferns can easily be propagated just by pulling off the small shoots from the old leaves. I have a few questions in mind regarding this matter:

1.) what is the proper method of pulling the shoots?
2.) will the old leaves die when i already pulled of the shoots?
3.) what will happen to them if i just leave the shoots there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
1. Use your fingers Really... just carefully pluck the plantlet off of the mother leaf.

2. No. Usually the old leaf will remain alive for some time. If you are careful when removing the plantlet there may be very little damage to the mother leaf. Usually however there winds up being a little rip/tear.

3. If you just leave them there the mother leaf will eventually lean over (go horizontal) and the the plantlets roots will grab hold of the driftwood/substrate etc... The older leaf will break down and dissapear while the new plantlets grow up to be big and strong

Take care.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

50 Gallon Aquarium - Colony of Showa Koi Swords.
90 Gallon Planted Aquarium - Yellow Tiger Endlers, Pair of Bristlenose, Six "oops" Five L15
12x10 Gallon Tanks - Guppies, Apistos, Endlers, Shrimp, Swords, you name it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

IME the longer you wait to remove the plantlet, the more roots it will have; I would think this would make it easier to reattach the new plantlet.

Here is a thread from another forum, showing pics of a java fern plantlet doing what java fern plantlets do best:
http://www.eastcoastaquariumsociety....ic.php?id=3325

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

hi guys,

thanks for the info. on the other thread they were saying that the mother plant usually create more babies when they are stressed. does this mean that for my tank since i am seeing a lot of plantlets coming out that the plants are under stress or they are just flourishing nicely?

their leaves are green and looking nice thats why i was wondering why they claimed that mother plant creates plantlets when it is stressed.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

My interpretation is that that is what happens in a natural environment. If your javas are reproducing it could very well mean that conditions are favorable. I wouldn't think that they would reproduce unless they had enough nutrients.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 05:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
I don't mean to ressurect another older thread BUT once again I have a question and a thread already exists so here is my question.

In regards to java fern can I cut off a piece of the rhizome that does not have a leaf and use that for propagation?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I got 1 tool in my toolbox and its a hammer."
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
anyone?

"I got 1 tool in my toolbox and its a hammer."
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Algae Grower

The plant usually only produces plantlets when it's stressed/in bad water conditions, older leaves make them regardless.

Rather than cutting the Rhizome, cut off an older leaf and leave it in the tank, it will develop plantlets (the majority of the time anyway).
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can split it yes, if you've got a big plant and split a section off you'll have an instant bigger/faster growing plant than waiting for the plantlets.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
You can use pieces of rhizome to grow new plants, or take the plantlets off.

I've even seen leaf clippings sprout roots.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 06:09 AM
Planted Member

So Im new to this forum and I hate to resurrect old threads but I have a question about this...When you pull the plantlets off of the mother leaf, do they ever get big like the plants you see in stores and in fish tanks? I have several java ferns that I bought and that grew new leaves over the years but when they grow new leaves, the leaves grow to the size of the current ones on the plant.

Now all of the new plants I have, that started from plantlets on my original plants, are very tiny. They grow new leaves very often and have become decently bushy but all of the leaves on these new plants are like an inch long and every new leaf that they grow stops growing at that size. Its like I have a few dwarf java ferns...

Anybody have any input on that?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode