2Likes
  • 1 Post By Roboto
  • 1 Post By Darkblade48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
When can I add plants?

I’m starting a new planted aquarium. How long do I have to wait before adding plants? What do I need to check as far as water conditions before I add beginner plants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 10:51 PM
Algae Grower

I started right away with no problems.
What plants are you considering?
Leeatl likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dont know. going to aquarium store tomorrow and see what they suggest.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 01:52 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
You can add plants immediately.

With regards to basic water parameters to check: temperature, pH, general hardness, carbonate hardness, nitrates, phosphates, and iron would be the main ones.
Leeatl likes this.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 08:34 AM

Plants do not need to change water as frequently as fish, but regular water changes can keep the aquarium healthy. First, scrape off all the algae on the side of the water tank. Use a siphon to remove 10% to 15% of the water, and pay special attention to gravel and the area around the aquarium device. Replace the removed water with fresh dechlorinated water

When using a siphon, do not use it in the plant bed, otherwise the plants may be accidentally killed. Instead, keep it above the substrate.

Both shrimp and catfish feed on algae, so they can add a lot of color to your tank, depending on the other fish you choose.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 05:51 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackchips View Post
Dont know. going to aquarium store tomorrow and see what they suggest.
Awesome. Good luck!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 08:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Giving a new tank time to establish is for the benefit of fish. Plants don't need that; you can add them right away.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 09:27 PM
Algae Grower

As found on university, government and independent sites... Plants remove ammonia, nitrite and nitrate from the water. Since ammonia and nitrite are required during cycling to feed the beneficial bacterial growth, adding plants to the aquarium during cycling will/may prevent the tank from cycling. You can add them, but will most likely slow the cycling process.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode