• 1 Post By Tiger15
  • 1 Post By varanidguy
  • 1 Post By Asteroid
  • 1 Post By Asteroid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red plants that can grow on rock or driftwood?

I'm planning a new tank and really want to include a couple red plants attached to some rock or driftwood. I can't seem to find any that will do well not planted in substrate. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 05:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hygrophila pinnatifida comes to mind. In high light and rich co2 environments, providing proper fertilization, it can be grown as an epiphyte and turn red.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Many red coloured buce species, some come at a hefty cost however.
varanidguy, evil8 and fishie777 like this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 06:39 PM
Planted Member

lagenandra meeboldii red Not sure if you would find this in the US. but you can consider this plant too.

-Preeths
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 07:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preeths View Post
lagenandra meeboldii red Not sure if you would find this in the US. but you can consider this plant too.
Oh yes we have that plant state side. I actually just got a specimen of it and I'm really looking forward to it growing in.

I was under the impression that it should be buried in substrate though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

|
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
AR Mini

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 06:08 AM
Algae Grower

a lot of stem plants actually do pretty well as floaters. Now they won't last long tied to a rock, that part will deteriorate and you'll have to keep trimming it and re-tying it down. I'm doing something similar right now, but in a nano so I can keep the stem to like 4 inches tall. Plus I have a rock crack to cram it into so I don't have to tie it. It looks like it's "growing" from the substrate but it never really roots.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 01:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

There are limited choice of red epiphytes and forcing plants into unnatural epiphytes is not durable and requires more effort than worth it. Have you thought about securing red plants in pots and hide behind rock or crevices of driftwood. I use hydroponic pots that allow roots to grow out and the black color can easily be camouflaged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C996BE4E-DD35-4E57-8A11-6F1C250C5B5A.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	480.5 KB
ID:	905289  

fishie777 likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Oh yes we have that plant state side. I actually just got a specimen of it and I'm really looking forward to it growing in.

I was under the impression that it should be buried in substrate though.

I got this plant recently. It sends off some wild color variations. I think you'll really enjoy it. I mean technically you could attach crypts and other plants to wood, but I think it's more practical and you'll get better more consistent growth if they're planted. Couple of pics from one plant.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 05:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
I got this plant recently. It sends off some wild color variations. I think you'll really enjoy it. I mean technically you could attach crypts and other plants to wood, but I think it's more practical and you'll get better more consistent growth if they're planted. Couple of pics from one plant.

Oooooh what is that?

Nuthatch likes this.

|
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Oooooh what is that?

Oh, sorry maybe I didn't word my previous post correctly, those are both leaf color variations I'm getting from Lagenandra Meeboldii Red
varanidguy likes this.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 05:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Oh, sorry maybe I didn't word my previous post correctly, those are both leaf color variations I'm getting from Lagenandra Meeboldii Red
Nope, re-reading the post on a computer rather than my cell phone revealed that the miss is on me.

Thanks for sharing! Are you growing this plant in a high energy tank?

|
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

Thanks for sharing! Are you growing this plant in a high energy tank?
Yep, co2, EI, good light, but completely inert substrate (petco black sand)
varanidguy likes this.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 01:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
a lot of stem plants actually do pretty well as floaters. Now they won't last long tied to a rock, that part will deteriorate and you'll have to keep trimming it and re-tying it down. I'm doing something similar right now, but in a nano so I can keep the stem to like 4 inches tall. Plus I have a rock crack to cram it into so I don't have to tie it. It looks like it's "growing" from the substrate but it never really roots.
True. All stems can be grown as floater, as they can uptake nutrients entirely from the water column without rooting. But free floating is untidy and stems need to be anchored in one place to look good. I've tried gluing, lead weight, tie wrap, and suction cup but none last long. The bottom will rot away shortly and need to be re-attached more frequently than worth the effort. Anchoring in small pots is most durable, and can be hidden behind rock and wood. But stems grow tall indefinitely and need to be topped and replanted periodically. But replanting in pots is easier and less messy than replanting in substrate.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 01:24 PM
Planted Member

Bucephalandra rainbow marble

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode