• 2 Post By ElleDee
  • 1 Post By davemonkey
  • 1 Post By ElleDee
  • 2 Post By nicepoeci

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Acclimating emersed plants to a low tech tank?

Well...any ideas how to do this without excessively stressing the plants? I imagine that liberal trimming of the emersed growth would be involved. Thanks
nanomania likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 06:41 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grah the great View Post
Well...any ideas how to do this without excessively stressing the plants? I imagine that liberal trimming of the emersed growth would be involved. Thanks
Ferns and mosses are easy, but most of the stem plants and runners dont do that well without co2. Loads of dieoffs and the new growth is very slow.

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 12:15 AM
Planted Member

Yeah, with stem plants I'm just trying to replace the emersed parts with new growth ASAP. The old growth is just going to grow lots of algae or melt away, so the sooner you can get it out of the tank, the better.

With crypts specifically I have tried this method and was happy with the results:

It seems brutal, but it worked well for potted crypts. I have not had a problem with TC crypts adapting to submerged conditions if they looked good coming out of the cup.
nanomania and Grah the great like this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDee View Post
Yeah, with stem plants I'm just trying to replace the emersed parts with new growth ASAP. The old growth is just going to grow lots of algae or melt away, so the sooner you can get it out of the tank, the better.

With crypts specifically I have tried this method and was happy with the results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdcArMSlao8

It seems brutal, but it worked well for potted crypts. I have not had a problem with TC crypts adapting to submerged conditions if they looked good coming out of the cup.
Might this work with other emersed plants, or at the least other rosette plants? Seems like it would work with most rosette plants from how basic it is.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 03:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Might this work with other emersed plants, or at the least other rosette plants? Seems like it would work with most rosette plants from how basic it is.
Yes for Hairgrasses. Might work with swords, but I have always just left the emeresed leaves on them, and then remove as they begin to die off.
For stems, it just depends on what stem plants. Some do well, others need to be pampered. Hygrophila spp. adapt easier, as does "creeping jenny", rotala, and a couple of the Ludwigia spp. Anubias spp. also tend to make the transition without much fuss.
Grah the great likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 01:41 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Yeah, maybe. There are several variables you have to consider. The most important is the root system of the plant - is it going to be strong enough to push new growth without any photosynthates from the leaves? Crypts melt is annoying, but from what I've read it's an evolutionary adaptation, so it's made to come back from the roots. Other plants can probably pull this off, and hairgrass is a good example.

The other question to consider is if it's worth it. Even if a plant *can* come back, is it actually more efficient? Even though emersed growth is not adapted to submerged conditions, it still can photosynthesize and can have storage functions, so removing it all at planting could end up setting the plant back more than if was left alone.
Grah the great likes this.

Last edited by ElleDee; 10-30-2020 at 01:42 AM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 04:28 AM
Algae Grower

Try using trimmings of healthy new growth first and see how it does - every plant wants something different
Grah the great and ElleDee like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode