what plant is this? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
what plant is this?

Hello!
I must have bought this plant as a part of a batch and I am not sure what it is. Maybe someone recognizes it? thank you very much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200902_173034287.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	904555  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 12:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I don't know it, but this looks very similar to an ermersed plant I just collected in central Ohio (in a seasonally wet area) that I am trying to get ID'd.

I can't get my pics to upload for some reason, but here is a thread I started. Take a look at the first plant:
https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...land-help.html
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/33-plants/1314569-central-ohio-plant-id.html#post11380655

At the risk of doing so without a flower, I believe I have the first ID'd as a Lysimachia sp., probably L. nummularia, due to it's growth habit, and the habitat in which it is seen here (seasonal wetland/wet forests, etc.).
While there are no flowers on these (and the suspected species flowers in June/July), I did confirm tiny red dots covering the leaves using a 10x hand lens.
Not sure if this is what you've got, but it's a start.

Last edited by davemonkey; 10-26-2020 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Additional information added.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

thanks a lot for the reply. Other people have told me the same as well and from some emersed pictures that I saw, it looks like this is it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 04:33 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
It looks like Cardamine lyrata to me. I had some in my 75g back when I was running it as a high-tech tank.

Bump: Here are pictures of it in my 75g. It's on the far right side of the tank, looks rather whispery with very thin stems. It never liked my tank that much, but it's supposed to be pretty easy to grow.

Pictures of the Cardamine lyrata n my 75g.

VickiStill running most of my tanks.

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
                    • 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• 29g -
                   • 8g - Plants only
• 5g - Plants only                • 2.5g -
Retired
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
It looks like Cardamine lyrata to me. I had some in my 75g back when I was running it as a high-tech tank.

Bump: Here are pictures of it in my 75g. It's on the far right side of the tank, looks rather whispery with very thin stems. It never liked my tank that much, but it's supposed to be pretty easy to grow.

Pictures of the Cardamine lyrata n my 75g.

thanks for the reply. I googled some photos of Cardamine lyrata and I think mine looks more similar to L. nummularia. Im not 100% sure though because L. nummularia looks to have more straight leaves while mine are more curved.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 09:41 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Lysimachia nummularia has thicker leaves, kind of like Bacopa. The leaves are somewhat oval, elongated to a point at the end.

Cardamon lyrata is wispier overall. The stems and leaves are very thin and delicate, often with slender roots growing at the leaf nodes. The leaves are more rounded, kind of like a spider web. They're also wavy.

You should know soon enough as it grows. C. lyrata puts out very small leaves that reach to the light and enlarge as they get older. There's more space between leaf nodes. L. nummularia grows more compact, and even though the new leaves are smaller, the space between the new leaves and old ones is uniform through the plant.

Here are examples of the different plants: first one is Lysimachia nummularia and the second one is Cardamon lyrata.

The above picture is from davesgarden.com.

VickiStill running most of my tanks.

• 90g -
                    • 75g -

• 29g -
                   • 8g - Plants only
• 5g - Plants only                • 2.5g -
Retired

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode