• 1 Post By ahem
  • 1 Post By Hendy8888
  • 1 Post By cl3537

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this actually Rotala H'ra Vietnam

This looked more "rotala like" when I bought it but has become very broad leaf. It was purchased as and labeled as "Rotala H'ra Vietnam". But I don't see any pictures of it online where it looks like this. If it is not Rotala H'ra Vietnam, what is it? (that is a different variety of Rotala surrounding it).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7428_LI.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	903933

Last edited by ahem; 10-09-2020 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 06:55 PM
Algae Grower

Looks like Ludwigia Palustris to me
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow. I had ordered from That Fish Place and they gave a bad online order experience. After paying for stuff they contacted a few days that they don't actually have half of it even though website showed in stock (and had me pay for it). Told them to send what parts of the order they had and I think they willy nilly sent me whatever they wanted. They sent miscounts of items, missing some, and got one thing I didn't order. So I presume in that mess of an order they mislabeled this as Rotala H'ra Vietnam.

The shorter red plant in front of it is some "super red" Ludwigia I recently got (elsewhere). The leaves are different shape. Is all Ludwigia "Super Red" the same as "Palustris"?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahem View Post
Wow. I had ordered from That Fish Place and they gave a bad online order experience. After paying for stuff they contacted a few days that they don't actually have half of it even though website showed in stock (and had me pay for it). Told them to send what parts of the order they had and I think they willy nilly sent me whatever they wanted. They sent miscounts of items, missing some, and got one thing I didn't order. So I presume in that mess of an order they mislabeled this as Rotala H'ra Vietnam.

The shorter red plant in front of it is some "super red" Ludwigia I recently got (elsewhere). The leaves are different shape. Is all Ludwigia "Super Red" the same as "Palustris"?
I don't know the origin of the 'super red' but it's not the same thing as the palustris you might find along ponds and wet places in much of the US. The latter is a bit bigger and more of a peach color.
ahem likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I figured out the answer to this I believe. The plant that is circled is Ludwigia Repens 'Super Red'. The shorter one in front of it is Ludwigia Peruensis. I'm a newb with plants but know some of them. The super red was difficult to figure out because is different than other Ludwigias in that it's leaves are not the perfect flat elongated oval shape. They get very red and somewhat "wrinkly" and misshapen.

Like this (mine is not this red yet but getting there):

Name:	super red.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	904237

It's a great stem plant, grows SUPER fast, must faster than the Ludwigia Peruensis I have. It's more like a Rotala in growth rate.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 09:30 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
this looked more "rotala like" when i bought it but has become very broad leaf. It was purchased as and labeled as "rotala h'ra vietnam". But i don't see any pictures of it online where it looks like this. If it is not rotala h'ra vietnam, what is it? (that is a different variety of rotala surrounding it).

Attachment 903933
alternanthera
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 12:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
There is no such thing as "Ludwigia peruensis" in the scientific literature. It's just a made up nonsense trade name. The correct name for that plant is Ludwigia glandulosa. If your plant has alternate leaves (one per node), it's that. If opposite leaves, it's Alternanthera reineckii. Just hard to tell for sure from the photo.

The 'super red' appears to be palustris, not repens. But some flowering material would make it easier.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinanti View Post
There is no such thing as "Ludwigia peruensis" in the scientific literature. It's just a made up nonsense trade name. The correct name for that plant is Ludwigia glandulosa. If your plant has alternate leaves (one per node), it's that. If opposite leaves, it's Alternanthera reineckii. Just hard to tell for sure from the photo.

The 'super red' appears to be palustris, not repens. But some flowering material would make it easier.
It it confusing since lots of plants are called alt names. But yes, the one it front I purchased as "Ludwigia peruensis" from ModernAquarium, in fact just ordered a few more bunches of it. I had found a few nights ago that its scientific name is Ludwigia glandulosa. I also have Alternanthera reineckii, both regular and "mini" varieties in the tank and it isn't that.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am in Montreal and Ludwigia super red doesn't exist here I have grown Ludiwigia Repens its nowhere close to that pinky red. Those super glowing red shots you see are usually someone who is shining purple/red light on their tank or who pumped up the saturation in photoshop not a realistic look to shoot for. I have gotten a nice saturated dark red but nothing like the picture above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cl3537; 10-16-2020 at 05:02 PM. Reason: ...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
I am in Montreal and Ludwigia super red doesn't exist here I have grown Ludiwigia Repens its nowhere close to that pinky red. Those super glowing red shots you see are usually someone who is shining purple/red light on their tank or who pumped up the saturation in photoshop not a realistic look to shoot for. I have gotten a nice saturated dark red but nothing like the picture above.
I don't know many of the plants yet but I would hazard a guess Ludiwigia Repens Super Red is one of the fastest red growers. I got them as green stems at about a foot tall. They converted to immersed, went red, and hit the top of the 20" high tank in just a few weeks. I've already replanted many cuttings. Mine have gotten redder since last I first posted but nothing like that deep red pic. The orange in these is beautiful too.

Name:	P1024066.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	904271

Name:	P1024233.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	904273

Name:	P1024315.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	904275
cl3537 likes this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
I don't know many of the plants yet but I would hazard a guess Ludiwigia Repens Super Red is one of the fastest red growers. I got them as green stems at about a foot tall. They converted to immersed, went red, and hit the top of the 20" high tank in just a few weeks. I've already replanted many cuttings. Mine have gotten redder since last I first posted but nothing like that deep red pic. The orange in these is beautiful too.
cl3537 is correct about the violet spectrum causing this color. Par plays a role, but more in making the coloration uniform across the leaf.
My SBReef lights with channel A cranked makes the ludwigia super red mini look like the picture you posted above, with it off it looks like your pictures, only difference is the violet/blue/cyan channels aren't there to stimulate the carotenoids and reflect the deep red color (I think that's how it works).
Channel B has red and deep red diodes in it, and they don't create the deep red coloration in the plant visually, so it's more than just adding red to make a plant redder. The violet spectrums will make the plants fluoresce in a way like corals do, at least in my experience working with it. This effect is why you see many T5-HO builds incorporate purple or actinic bulbs into their lineup because it brings out the colors to a much deeper degree visually.

Channel A on Channel B off:

Channel A off Channel B on:

Last edited by Quesenek; 10-16-2020 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added images
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
ABC plants in Montreal sells Ludwigia sp. super red (Palustris 'super red') as a tissue culture if your looking for some. It is a deep red even under daylight bulbs.
cl3537 likes this.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

Attachment 904271
Attachment 904273
Attachment 904275
Beautiful your colors are natural and similar to what I have observed.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
ABC plants in Montreal sells Ludwigia sp. super red (Palustris 'super red') as a tissue culture if your looking for some. It is a deep red even under daylight bulbs.
Thank-you I have been meaning to contact ABC as the store I usually go to is only open a few hours a week now due to Covid-19.
Hendy8888 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode