2Likes
  • 1 Post By Deanna
  • 1 Post By Deanna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Urgent! Dwarf Saggitaria dying!

Hi everyone, I don't know what's going on with my Dwarf Saggitaria, it started turning transparent and melting. It is spreading every day more and more... 😞
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201001_084415_1601567268454.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	903611  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Dwarf Sag is an iron hog and, IME, also likes to eat more nitrogen that other plants (low nitrogen can cause transparent leaves). Make sure that you are dosing enough iron and, although I generally don't favor root tabs, in this case it may help to add some root tabs, such as Seachem, to see if the focused nutrients will reverse your fortunes.

If you want a deeper look at your setup, then please provide as much of the following as possible:

- Light (make & model): ideally, PAR and PUR reading at the substrate and photoperiod?
- CO2 setup (if any) and, if you inject CO2 (pressurized or DIY?), what is the CO2 ppm level and how is it measured?
- Current NO3, PO4, GH, KH, pH and TDS readings and which test kits/devices are used for each?
- What you are dosing (product and quantity), in terms of ppm, and how often?
- Substrate type and how long has it been in place?
- What is your filter setup?
- Cleaning regimen (filter and water change frequency and amount)?
- Circulation: surface rippling and are all plants gently moving from top to bottom?
- What is your water source and do you use a water softener?
- What is your tank size?
peevo likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Deanna,

Tank is a 75gallon, dirted
I have one bag of potting mix under 1/2inch sand cap
Lights are 2 Beamswork DA FSPEC 6 hours a day
CO2 Pressurized, many bubles per second, cant count
Inline CO2 diffuser
N 10ppm
P 1ppm
K dosing 10ppm twice a week besides what comes with N and P dosing
Micros from Glosso Factory 5 pumps 2 times a week.

I don't think it's nutrient deficiency since the plants are pushing runners and new growth looks healthy.

Could it be pest snails damaging it? I got some with new plants lately and keep throwing them away but new ones keep showing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201001_141223_1601586775458.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	903619  

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Snails don't usually damage healthy plants. They will consume algae on plants and unhealthy/dying sections of plants (which may be under the algae). Snails are general beneficial in a planted tank.

It could be an isolated section of substrate where a problem exists/did exist. I can't attest to the health of your particular substrate setup, though. I've also seen it happen with over-crowding of the Dwarf Sag, but this doesn't seem to be involved with your plantings. Are you getting enough circulation to that area?

I think I would still try a root tab under that section. Your dosing and measurements indicate an overall good rate for the tank, but the Dwarfg Sag may still need a little boost under high light and high CO2.

I would also measure your CO2 to make sure you are getting your targeted ppm. Most of us settle in the 30ppm area for high-tech setups.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Deanna,
This all started happening this week. Last weekend I added a small bag of Purigen to my filter. Could Purigen have something to do with this?

Also, in regards to your flow question. I would say that that spot is actually getting a lot of flow, it's in the way of the return flow of water that comes across the bottom back to the intake.

I added an updated picture of how everything is progressing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201002_093821_1601656846911.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	378.2 KB
ID:	903671  

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I can't quite tell, but am I right that the problem is now spreading?

Purigen will remove nitrogen by removing the nitrogenous organics. This includes the NH3/NH4 that plants love and, in turn, NO3 created from these organics. It is best to use Purigen only when you think you have an organics problem that can't be controlled in other ways. So, yes: Purigen may be a contributor if your N was on the edge. With your other plants doing well, and your confidence that iron is good, I would still suggest adding just one Seachem (or equivalent) root tab under that problem area. You could also try removing the Purigen and see if they recover.

I'd also like to know what your Ca and Mg levels are. Do you have the ability to do that?

That is good; about your flow and make sure that you have about 30ppm CO2.
evil8 likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The problem is spreading

I am dosing KNO3 diy mix, N was always constant at 10ppm.

I added Purigen because my water became little cloudy 3 days after water change which I believe reduced the amount of light at the bottom so I bought a 100g bag of Purigen.

I added root tabs but I don't believe the substrate is exhausted since I forgot to mention it's only 3 months old.

I can't measure CA, can't find any test for fresh water tank. Tap water report says 25ppm Ca and about 10ppm Mg. My Gh is 8 drops and Kh 7 drops. Besides that, my tap water is 6.8Ph not degaussed so I have a bag of crushed shells in my filter to keep Ph above 7 because of the Nerite snails. Are dissolving crushed shells adding Ca?

Co2 drop checker is green.

I took the Puringen out of the filter today.
I will do a big water change tonight after lights go off.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2020, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick update, the melting continues to spread. Still no idea what is causing it. I now have BBA because of the decay that is happening. So sad... everything was going well before this started...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1602377602468620219471346336952_1602377620725.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	903977  

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 09:40 AM

Has there been any change?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode