unhappy Java Fern - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
unhappy Java Fern

I have java fern in several tanks, all are different substrates, different fish, different lights. All are low tech, low-medium light. I let the plants do their thing, in this tank vallisneria went nuts since June. Nitrates are always in the 20-40 range, water is around pH 8 and on the harder side. Java fern never does well for me. Almost no new growth from the rhizome, very often holes in leaves appear after some time. In some tanks it makes babies, but they don't grow either, to no surprise. What is it missing most likely? Potassium?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200927_123409947.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	903549  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 10:49 PM
Algae Grower

It does look like potassium, I remember my Ludwigia Repens having holes in leafs specifically old growth and dosing potassium helped. Low tech tanks doesn't mean that additional fertilization is not needed. Try to give it some potassium and see how things go.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you vanostav61!
I do fertilize ssome tanks and java fern is not a happy camper there either. I am still learning the dosing schedule and all that stuff, that's one reason why I have several tanks albeit with different conditions. But since most other plants do well, the "beginner friendly" java fern across the board has me somewhat puzzled

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
You know, I'm in the same situation. Java fern is never happy in my tanks. I've grown it with EI dosing ferts, liquid ferts, no ferts at all just fish waste. It always looks miserable. Feel like I'm missing something with this plant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have this problem too. I can grow anubias, crypts and dwarf sag just fine, but java fern in the same conditions always fails.

.`.`..`.><(((>
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 12:32 AM
Algae Grower

These comments are funny - my Java Ferns grow like crazy and I don't remember to fertilize them often. When I do, it's just Easy Green.

However, I put some plantlets in straight tap water (intending to give away) and they all died. I guess the chlorine did them in?

I can't grow moss for anything. Not even Java. The only moss like thing that grows is subwassertang, and that's not moss lol.

I'm using Aquasoil which lowers PH - maybe that's got something to do with it?

I *can* grow moss in tap water on a chilly windowsill - I think it hates 78 degree water.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 05:12 PM
Algae Grower

Count me in. My java fern fall apart in the end. It did produced plantlets (babies) but they doesn't grow. Just very dark green or black plantlets.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode