1Likes
  • 1 Post By minorhero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Suggestions for emersed epiphyte?

Hello folks,

I am looking for suggestions for plants that will grow well completely out of the water except for the roots. Also it needs to grow on wood. Water level will fluctuate depending on what day of the week it is (high after a water change and then decreasing by about an inch until the next water change day).

I currently have some brazilian pennywort I am lettering grow out but the leaves tend to dry out if they start submersed and then I move them to out of water (draping over the wood). I have some anubias nana petite but it suffers from the same problem (to a lesser extent). I will not be misting daily or some such so it needs to tolerate normal room humidity conditions.

What I have discovered is that what I'm really looking for is a terrestrial plant that is highly tolerant of having its roots wet. I currently have a rabbits foot fern that is doing REALLY well in this setup but I don't want to simply get another of those, I want something a little different.

Here is a picture of the tank:

Econde likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 01:57 PM
Algae Grower

Beautiful tank... I love the idea! I have a Syngonium growing out of my tank that does amazing with it's roots in the water. I don't know that the roots will attach to wood though. I just let them dangle down and I insert java ferns in the root mass.
Of course, there's always pothos that goes nuts in water. I have that too and it climbs all over the stand the tank is on. Probably not the look you are going for here though.
I'm following this closely and I'm interested to hear what others may contribute!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Umbrella papyrus may be something you would be interested in too. The roots actually grow into the substrate though. Again not on wood though.

I have also read about using miniature orchids in this type of setup too. They are epiphytic.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-25-2020 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 12:16 AM
Algae Grower

If you can locate them, try Saururus cernuus & chinensis (Lizard's tail). I've grown both and they're attractive and very adaptable. Neither minds having their feet wet and the emerse growth is very sturdy. I'd bet either sp. would adapt to being tied in place with a bit of long fiber sphagnum over the rhizomes. Their performance is often challenging when grown submerse.

Another garden plant in two variations is Houttuynia cordata and it's colorful variegated cultivar, 'Chameleon.' They're both quite happy with wet/damp feet and the leaves are waxy and tolerant to less than optimum humidity. It's a vigorous species, many would call the green form weedy and invasive. However, I have a hunch it would do very well as a semi-epiphyte. A rhizome covering of long fiber peat or coco fiber wouldn't go wrong. Keep your scissors handy.😊

I like the scape's look & can't help but to think you could make some kuhlii loaches very happy & safe and perhaps, reproductive. Enjoy your lovely tank.

Mike Wilson
Fish Ho!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGirl View Post
Beautiful tank... I love the idea! I have a Syngonium growing out of my tank that does amazing with it's roots in the water. I don't know that the roots will attach to wood though. I just let them dangle down and I insert java ferns in the root mass.
Of course, there's always pothos that goes nuts in water. I have that too and it climbs all over the stand the tank is on. Probably not the look you are going for here though.
I'm following this closely and I'm interested to hear what others may contribute!

Quote:
Umbrella papyrus may be something you would be interested in too. The roots actually grow into the substrate though. Again not on wood though.

Quote:
I have also read about using miniature orchids in this type of setup too. They are epiphytic.

Syngonium, specifically the pixie variety has real possibilities. I am concerned that papyrus will get too big. I only have about 10 inches of space before I hit the light and I want to be well below that point. Orchids I think would either be too wet or too dry depending on if the roots were in the water or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwgh2 View Post
If you can locate them, try Saururus cernuus & chinensis (Lizard's tail). I've grown both and they're attractive and very adaptable. Neither minds having their feet wet and the emerse growth is very sturdy. I'd bet either sp. would adapt to being tied in place with a bit of long fiber sphagnum over the rhizomes. Their performance is often challenging when grown submerse.

Another garden plant in two variations is Houttuynia cordata and it's colorful variegated cultivar, 'Chameleon.' They're both quite happy with wet/damp feet and the leaves are waxy and tolerant to less than optimum humidity. It's a vigorous species, many would call the green form weedy and invasive. However, I have a hunch it would do very well as a semi-epiphyte. A rhizome covering of long fiber peat or coco fiber wouldn't go wrong. Keep your scissors handy.😊

I like the scape's look & can't help but to think you could make some kuhlii loaches very happy & safe and perhaps, reproductive. Enjoy your lovely tank.
Houttuynia cordata also looks pretty spiffy! I like the variegated form. Since I am using terrestrial plants might as well go variegated if I can help it.

Stocking right now is a betta and a few ramshorn snails. I am thinking of adding an african dwarf frog. I have never had one before but I am kinda going all froggy these days so it might be fun to have an aquatic one as well.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 07:22 PM
Algae Grower

acorus Japonica might work , its a rhizome plant so suits tying to or wedging between wood or rocks and is variegated
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 10:51 PM
Algae Grower

Pothos do well or Spathiphyllum sp (peace lily) do well. I have both growing above my 220g SD aquarium with their roots in the water.

The harbinger of doom to the wicked but the fragrance of life for the hopeless. Napalm
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 10:59 PM

seconding the spathiphyllum suggestion (peace lily)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode