I can't grow java moss - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I can't grow java moss

actually applies to most mosses, I've tried christmax, java, weeping, etc. It's just so hard to grow. My tank right now has hygrophilia, dwarf sag, crypts, java fern, some floaters, and some other plants I forget the name of. They all grow fine and I have to trim every few weeks. It's medium lighting, low current flow, room temp water, I dose thriveS and excel and it seems like every plant does good except for the moss.

The christmas moss grew great for a month or two and died the next month, there's no trace of it now. The java moss is hanging in there but it definitely isn't growing, I've had it a year now and it's the exact same size. I really like the look of moss so I actually started a whole new tank just to try and grow them. Right now it's got nothing in it but some java moss and substrate. I'm willing to do ANYTHING to make sure this thing grows. Any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 04:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
That's your problem don't dose Excel. They're sensitive to it as far as I have experienced.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld
2 Gallon jungle val madness bowl

RAOK CLUB #0
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 05:41 AM
Planted Member

I have a lot of Christmas moss in my tanks and for some reason it grows well for me, have no real idea why. Some say mosses need cool water, but my tanks are all at 27-28C. Some say it needs CO2, but only one of my tanks has this and the moss grows well in the others. I used to dose Excel (at Seachem's recommended daily dose) and that didn't affect the moss at all, but higher doses and spot dosing certainly burned it. Stopping Excel dosing doesn't seem to have had an effect either. I use the full Seachem line of fert's (except Advance and Excel) wit their recommended daily dosing schedule and that seems to work well. I'm not doing anything particularly different or unusual and the moss just grows lush green. Subwassertan in the same tanks does absolutely nothing though - go figure!

So in answer to your question.... I have no idea, sorry! Only thing I can offer is that mosses tend to attract hair algae and H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) treatments do a great job of getting rid of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 05:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by en7jos View Post
I have a lot of Christmas moss in my tanks and for some reason it grows well for me, have no real idea why. Some say mosses need cool water, but my tanks are all at 27-28C. Some say it needs CO2, but only one of my tanks has this and the moss grows well in the others. I used to dose Excel (at Seachem's recommended daily dose) and that didn't affect the moss at all, but higher doses and spot dosing certainly burned it. Stopping Excel dosing doesn't seem to have had an effect either. I use the full Seachem line of fert's (except Advance and Excel) wit their recommended daily dosing schedule and that seems to work well. I'm not doing anything particularly different or unusual and the moss just grows lush green. Subwassertan in the same tanks does absolutely nothing though - go figure!

So in answer to your question.... I have no idea, sorry! Only thing I can offer is that mosses tend to attract hair algae and H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) treatments do a great job of getting rid of it.
I guess to be clear, for OP, it would be asking the plain and simples:

- how big is the tank?
- what is the dosage?
- what kind of flow does the tank have?

I've dosed Excel in my tank, twice a week, but have spot treated some Java fern and I had a lot of flow in my tank, the spot treatment went to my moss, it burned it significantly turning brown. In tanks with flow, medium light, and cooler temperatures, I find that they grow a lot better.

20 Gallon jungle tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld
2 Gallon jungle val madness bowl

RAOK CLUB #0
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 06:40 AM
Planted Member

I have used recommended dose of excel (everyday) and my java moss did well in a low energy tank with modest lighting. Java moss grows slowly in the summer when the tank hits 30 degC and grows more aggressively in the off heats when the tank stays between 25-26 degC. My tank was never in the cooler 22-23 degC where java moss is supposed to do best.

I have never spot dosed excel on java moss. I place the java moss on stone or driftwood thatís directly in the flow. I trimmed it back frequently, keeping moss in shape was hard but collecting trimmings of java moss was a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

External links aren't permitted - please stop adding the link when we remove it
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
I guess to be clear, for OP, it would be asking the plain and simples:

- how big is the tank?
- what is the dosage?
- what kind of flow does the tank have?

I've dosed Excel in my tank, twice a week, but have spot treated some Java fern and I had a lot of flow in my tank, the spot treatment went to my moss, it burned it significantly turning brown. In tanks with flow, medium light, and cooler temperatures, I find that they grow a lot better.

8 gallon, i dose excel 0.5ml every day thriveS 1 pump a day 5x weekly, flow is pretty low. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirr View Post
I have used recommended dose of excel (everyday) and my java moss did well in a low energy tank with modest lighting. Java moss grows slowly in the summer when the tank hits 30 degC and grows more aggressively in the off heats when the tank stays between 25-26 degC. My tank was never in the cooler 22-23 degC where java moss is supposed to do best.

I have never spot dosed excel on java moss. I place the java moss on stone or driftwood that’s directly in the flow. I trimmed it back frequently, keeping moss in shape was hard but collecting trimmings of java moss was a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah I have no clue it seems like for everyone java moss is unkillable and grows no matter what but I don't see the same success
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 11:57 PM
Algae Grower

My java moss does so much better in my quarantine tank than my normal display tank and I don't understand why. When I got it, I basically divided it in half and it grew in one tank and dwindled in the other. My QT is bare bottomed, uses weak/terrible led lights that came with the tank kit and the only source of nutrients is from my tap water, fish food, and fish waste. Oh yeah, and it had salt and meds in the water for a while and the moss didn't blink. It shouldn't work! But it does! (My display tank is just fine - plenty of happy, growing plants, including mini Christmas moss.) So I moved all the java moss over to the QT, though of course I still find little bits here and there in the display tank. If I didn't have the QT I wouldn't think I could really grow java moss either.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode