Plant help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey all I知 new to this forum. After months of trying to make a flourishing aquarium... I give up and am asking for some help. It just seems like no matter what I do I cannot get anything to take off. So heres the specs. I have a 55 gallon tank with a Fluval 3.0 light [lights at about 30% power because of algae]. I知 using an organic potting soil substrate mixed with some clay as the base. On top of that there is about an inch or more of middle of the road sized sand/gravel. I致e switched to full RO water and use co2 at about 3-4 bubbles a second. For nutrition I知 using the aquarium coop easy green and doing 5 pumps per week. For the test kit I知 using a freshwater master kit from api. All of my tests I run are perfect. And I mean PERFECT guys. As for the fish, they are loving life! So I知 just lost y誕ll. I really need some help. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mind you the pictures make the plants look greener. But I知 looking for real growth. These plants haven稚 grown much since planting which was about 2 months ago. Even tried trimming hair grass and bad leaves off plants. Thanks all!

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-17-2020 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktarv199 View Post
Hey all I知 new to this forum. After months of trying to make a flourishing aquarium... I give up and am asking for some help. It just seems like no matter what I do I cannot get anything to take off. So heres the specs. I have a 55 gallon tank with a Fluval 3.0 light [lights at about 30% power because of algae]. I知 using an organic potting soil substrate mixed with some clay as the base. On top of that there is about an inch or more of middle of the road sized sand/gravel. I致e switched to full RO water and use co2 at about 3-4 bubbles a second. For nutrition I知 using the aquarium coop easy green and doing 5 pumps per week. For the test kit I知 using a freshwater master kit from api. All of my tests I run are perfect. And I mean PERFECT guys. As for the fish, they are loving life! So I知 just lost y誕ll. I really need some help. Thanks!

Just a quick question, you said you switched to full RO water. Are you remineralizing it?

Without remineralizing the RO water, you may have issues with calcium and magnesium deficiencies.
Calcium deficiency:
Quote:
Indicators of calcium deficiency are: severely impeded growth (also affects roots), growing points decay (in serious cases), chlorosis (on the edges or general in the form of spots), young leaves size reduction and deformation. Other sources indicate that leaves become brown. Furthermore, necrosis of points and young leaves edges is possible.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
Just a quick question, you said you switched to full RO water. Are you remineralizing it?

Without remineralizing the RO water, you may have issues with calcium and magnesium deficiencies.
Calcium deficiency:

I am not. Is there anyway to test for these?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktarv199 View Post
I am not. Is there anyway to test for these?

API GH/KH test kit.

GH test kit allows you to see what the General hardness of your tank water is. General hardness is the combination of calcium and magnesium in your water, however to test for the specific amount of calcium in the water you would need the calcium test kit.

You could probably get by with just the GH/KH test kit for the time being though because all you're testing for is to see if there's anything in there.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
API GH/KH test kit.

GH test kit allows you to see what the General hardness of your tank water is. General hardness is the combination of calcium and magnesium in your water, however to test for the specific amount of calcium in the water you would need the calcium test kit.

You could probably get by with just the GH/KH test kit for the time being though because all you're testing for is to see if there's anything in there.

Cool I ordered one and I値l get back to you with the results here in a couple of days

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Alright I got the test kit. The GH came out to 143 and the KH came out to 125. So you can see I知 just on the high side for the recommended ppm. How do I drop down these tests? The instructions just say use a filter?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode