• 2 Post By JJ09
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 3 Post By Asteroid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question about buce growth pattern

I just got a starter pack of buce and I'm trying to anticipate how it's going to fill in. A lot of the pieces of rhizome have roots on one end and a growing point with leaves at the other. If I situate this horizontally on a rock is it going to grow leaves (eventually - we're low tech over here) all up and down the rhizome, or just continue from the growing point at the end? If I rhizome has no leaves but is otherwise firm and healthy is it likely to grow leaves?

Last edited by ElleDee; 09-12-2020 at 04:17 PM. Reason: autocorrect changed "buce" to "nice" in title :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 09:49 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDee View Post
I just got a starter pack of buce and I'm trying to anticipate how it's going to fill in. A lot of the pieces of rhizome have roots on one end and a growing point with leaves at the other. If I situate this horizontally on a rock is it going to grow leaves (eventually - we're low tech over here) all up and down the rhizome, or just continue from the growing point at the end? If I rhizome has no leaves but is otherwise firm and healthy is it likely to grow leaves?
What kinds did you get? You really can't predict how the leaves will grow and they can pop up anywhere. Just know that are slowgrowers. And yes, if the rhizome has no leaves just leave it and it will recover. I had the same thing with one of my and it is showing green shoots after a couple of weeks.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

They sent me 'Red Cherry', 'Brownie Hermes', 'Purple Blue, 'Solid Blue Malawi', and 'Little Dagger'. I'm not normally a random sampler pack kind of person, but with buce it really wasn't clear to me how different one cultivar would be from another, especially given my low tech set up where I don't expect them to color up like they would in a high energy tank. Still, this seems like a fair mix and some of the portions were quite large, so I really feel like I have a lot of material to play with and maybe in the end I'll be able to tell them apart. They are already putting out new leaves, so that's promising.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Either there's lots more new varieties been developed lately, or sellers are having fun with the names! I don't recognize any of those.
Blue Ridge Reef and Asteroid like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 01:03 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I really treat them all like they're the same species (and for all I know, they could be variants of). I tend to put them up high in low tech tanks and let them grow and spread. A little air touching them seems to speed this, but as soon as they break surface they seem to want to grow emergent so be prepared to lean the stick, rock, whatever deeper down as they do. I also have never heard of these trade names. Nothing happens fast with Buce, just be patient and if they seem to stagnate a little air can bring them the CO2 that they seem to crave. I can tell you that in high tech tanks, they actually grow pretty respectably. Maybe faster than Anubias, though that's no cheetah to compare to.
Asteroid likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I heard there's going to be a Buce sp. Springsteen, Buuuuuce

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode