Yellow leaves on amazon sword - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yellow leaves on amazon sword

Hello all. On my amazon sword in my tank, it's been in there around a month or so. It has sprouted recently in the past few weeks 4-5 new leaves. But some of the existing ones that aren't new I have noticed are decaying with yellow spots. Is this a potassium issue? Just seems strange that some leaves are healthy looking with new ones coming up and some are decayed looking.

I am using root tabs as well as Seachem flourish and iron if this helps at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 10:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sounds like it could either be emersed growth leaves that came with it dying off, or a macro deficiency (K) to me. Are the leaves in question differently shaped, or are they leaves that have grown in some nice it's been in the tank?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yeah, I'd second old leaves dying off. Especially after a move and with new growth.

In my experience with swords, plant tabs are all they need. And trim leaves as soon as they start looking tattered. It will help to spur new growth. No new growth? Time to add more plant tabs.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, I got it at a LFS and it was fully submerged in the tank. So I would assume it's not that.

It's only the older leaves. And they are all the same shape. One strange thing I noticed is the only difference is that the new growth seems to be a bit different color. More of a reddish brown tinge at the top. And the leaves are really long.

I did order some Seachem Potassium. I don't know if this will help or not.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Swords will pull nutrients from old leaves and use them for new growth, so you will retain more nutrients by leaving the leaf there until they melt most of the way down before trimming.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ah! I see! That's a very helpful tip. Thanks!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
Swords will pull nutrients from old leaves and use them for new growth, so you will retain more nutrients by leaving the leaf there until they melt most of the way down before trimming.
Definitely not been my experience. :-)

Trimming has always helped my tanks.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld738 View Post
Definitely not been my experience. :-)

Trimming has always helped my tanks.

How has it helped? I mean, it does look better trimmed, but I have found that when nutrient deficient, removing such a leaf only seemed to accelerate another following suit. Could be my expectations creeping I to my observations though.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
How has it helped? I mean, it does look better trimmed, but I have found that when nutrient deficient, removing such a leaf only seemed to accelerate another following suit. Could be my expectations creeping I to my observations though.

Well in light of a deficiency then that makes some sense. I wasn't thinking that.

Since @Blackheart was using plant tabs with new growth I just assumed that was not the case. And pretty much every Amazon sword I've ever kept, whether I was growing submersed or emmersed, had a die off in the beginning. Some plants more than others.

With the use of plant tabs, I've never experienced accelerated die off after trimming. But that's just my experience, doesn't mean it can't happen. :-)

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld738 View Post
Well in light of a deficiency then that makes some sense. I wasn't thinking that.

Since @Blackheart was using plant tabs with new growth I just assumed that was not the case. And pretty much every Amazon sword I've ever kept, whether I was growing submersed or emmersed, had a die off in the beginning. Some plants more than others.

With the use of plant tabs, I've never experienced accelerated die off after trimming. But that's just my experience, doesn't mean it can't happen. :-)

That makes sense. When I saw that, it was before I was using ferts, so I think what we both have seen makes sense. I haven't seen much die off since I began fertilizing at each water change.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

This sword is still taking off. There has now been like 4 or 5 new leaves, with more coming it would seem. I may just leave the decaying leaves on until they look like they aren't doing any good at all.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode