Need some plant suggestions. - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jsvand5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Need some plant suggestions.

Just finished up the hard scape on this cube. I may still add some roots below the bonsai and maybe a rock or two but it’s done for the most part. Planning on dwarf baby tears in all the spaces between rocks and the foreground and weeping moss for the bonsai. I’m wanting something grass like that will grow in a clump to add to a few spots for a different texture. I was thinking either micro sword or Crypt Parva. I want something that is pretty controllable that won’t send out a bunch of runners. Any suggestions on something that might work out better than my current possibilities? Also looking for a suggestion for behind the bonsai. I was thinking just more rock or possibly Isoetes Japonica. Lastly, black background or white? I’d love to get one of the ADA light screens but they are way out of my budget.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01489913-4C81-4E96-868C-EBBDC2A60D4E_1599177613373.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	4.42 MB
ID:	902727  

Click image for larger version

Name:	7742B93A-1C10-4CB5-B78A-C5D463167D55_1599177650921.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	4.03 MB
ID:	902729  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm not going to comment on plant suggestions, but I will comment on the background. Go to decorativefilms.com. You can find any type of film you could want for a background, but don't have to pay ADA prices.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
I'm not going to comment on plant suggestions, but I will comment on the background. Go to decorativefilms.com. You can find any type of film you could want for a background, but don't have to pay ADA prices.
Thanks. I’ll check them out

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightground is distributed in the USA
by Studio Aquatica

https://www.studioaquatica.com/shop

[email protected]

https://www.thelightground.com/about-1

I have the 120 p model and it cost 1/4 of the amount of a ADA model.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
Lightground is distributed in the USA
by Studio Aquatica

https://www.studioaquatica.com/shop

[email protected]

https://www.thelightground.com/about-1

I have the 120 p model and it cost 1/4 of the amount of a ADA model.
I couldn’t figure out their website or how to actually order but I ended up getting something cheap from Current. I’m sure it’s not nearly the same quality but I figured for $50 it was worth a shot. Looks cool in the video at least

https://current-usa.com/serene-background-led-lights/
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvand5 View Post
Just finished up the hard scape on this cube. I may still add some roots below the bonsai and maybe a rock or two but it’s done for the most part. Planning on dwarf baby tears in all the spaces between rocks and the foreground and weeping moss for the bonsai. I’m wanting something grass like that will grow in a clump to add to a few spots for a different texture. I was thinking either micro sword or Crypt Parva. I want something that is pretty controllable that won’t send out a bunch of runners. Any suggestions on something that might work out better than my current possibilities? Also looking for a suggestion for behind the bonsai. I was thinking just more rock or possibly Isoetes Japonica. Lastly, black background or white? I’d love to get one of the ADA light screens but they are way out of my budget.
For some more accent plants, around the rocks a stem or two of staurogyne repens might give a nice effect around some of the rock points. I think most foreground plants will send out runners, but with regular maintenance you should be able to cull back any unwanted new plants. For a grassy accent you could also look at some small patches of dwarf hair grass for some contrast.

Using Crypt Parva, DHG, and S. repens around the rocks you can break up the carpet line and spice up the foreground.

The background depends on what you want to do. You could go with rotala H'ra and some rotala rotundifolia green for some nice coloration behind the moss tree, or go with an iwagumi type background plant like the Isoetes Japonica.

Just suggestions to what could be done, you might want to experiment with different plant setups to see if you like one over the other.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvand5 View Post
For some more accent plants, around the rocks a stem or two of staurogyne repens might give a nice effect around some of the rock points. I think most foreground plants will send out runners, but with regular maintenance you should be able to cull back any unwanted new plants. For a grassy accent you could also look at some small patches of dwarf hair grass for some contrast.

Using Crypt Parva, DHG, and S. repens around the rocks you can break up the carpet line and spice up the foreground.

The background depends on what you want to do. You could go with rotala H'ra and some rotala rotundifolia green for some nice coloration behind the moss tree, or go with an iwagumi type background plant like the Isoetes Japonica.

Just suggestions to what could be done, you might want to experiment with different plant setups to see if you like one over the other.
Thanks. Pretty crazy but I ordered some S.repens and Isoetes Japonica yesterday just before seeing your post for exactly the positions you suggested. I also picked up a cup of Eriocaulon Polaris. I haven’t seen it before but it seems to have the grass like look I’m wanting.
Quesenek likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode