Problem with Monte Carlo - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By joonho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (28/100%)
Problem with Monte Carlo

I've been getting a lot of growth with my Monte Carlo, but it isn't looking very healthy.
Mostly, the older leaves are turning brown, and you can see in the first image, the edges of the leaves turn brown.

Light: 2x24T5HO ~20 inches from substrate
pressurized Co2
NilocG Thrive - all in one nutrients

It looks great from far away, but up close you can see how unhealthy it is.
I've been thinking maybe the light is too strong.
Anyone have some advice for this?
Econde likes this.

Last edited by joonho; 08-11-2020 at 12:30 AM. Reason: fixed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
How long has it been up and running?

Mine went thru a phase similar to that and needed a trim or 2 before it really took shape.

And Im not that versed on TO bulbs so I really can't say if you have too much light but at 20" it seems highly unlikely.

And just checking...

What's your Gh? Standard Nilocg? How much?

Something to mull over is that a lot of aquascape tanks I follow that use all-in-ones dose way more than recommended. Nilocg is better at that than others but it depends on the version you are using. Not that you should immediately bump up dosing but testing nitrates might give you a clue if you are dosing enough?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi, thanks for the reply.
It's been filled for almost 3 months now.
I don't have a way to test my gh, but I do use a bit of gh booster with my water changes
and I'm using Thrive+, about 2 pumps per week, and the tank is about 8 gallons.

I suspected it was a Nitrogen deficiency early on, so I added some additional dry KNO3, but it didn't seem to help it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
What's the substrate ADA AS?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh yeah, I should have probably mentioned I'm using eco-complete lol, and I'm regretting it now
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonho View Post
Oh yeah, I should have probably mentioned I'm using eco-complete lol, and I'm regretting it now
OK LOL, saw the ADA tank thought you might have gone all ADA. Anyway could be no3, just test to see, but wouldn't hurt to add more

One question, worth asking are the old leaves dying or are they turning brown from algae as their growth slows. If there is algae and you have 2x T5HO, you might want to consider only running both bulbs for a few hours and the rest just one.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

3 months might still be early. Have you trimmed yet? Give a trim or 2 and see how things go. Maybe try a test patch? I have a mature tank and mine takes 1 to 2 weeks to come back, usually fuller than before. Even mowing it down close.

As for dosing, I'd say that's bordering on too little. Nilocg recommends 3x per week for 10gal, or more, with co2 and good lighting. And with Eco complete you don't get a lot of extras like you do with Aquasoil type substrates. So if you aren't root feeding everything is coming from water column. And I wouldn't just add more KNO3. A lot of these things are ratios. Adding just kno3 might throw the balance off enough that other issues crop up.

Here's what my MC looks like right now (I abuse the heck out of it)...

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
OK LOL, saw the ADA tank thought you might have gone all ADA. Anyway could be no3, just test to see, but wouldn't hurt to add more

One question, worth asking are the old leaves dying or are they turning brown from algae as their growth slows. If there is algae and you have 2x T5HO, you might want to consider only running both bulbs for a few hours and the rest just one.
The old growth doesn't seem to be dying, just stays brown. And I've also been getting some stunted growth. My fixture is very old so I don't have that kind of control with the bulbs haha, but maybe I'll raise it a bit more. I have been getting some green spots on the glass, and brown algae, but nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld738 View Post
3 months might still be early. Have you trimmed yet? Give a trim or 2 and see how things go. Maybe try a test patch? I have a mature tank and mine takes 1 to 2 weeks to come back, usually fuller than before. Even mowing it down close.

As for dosing, I'd say that's bordering on too little. Nilocg recommends 3x per week for 10gal, or more, with co2 and good lighting. And with Eco complete you don't get a lot of extras like you do with Aquasoil type substrates. So if you aren't root feeding everything is coming from water column. And I wouldn't just add more KNO3. A lot of these things are ratios. Adding just kno3 might throw the balance off enough that other issues crop up.

Here's what my MC looks like right now (I abuse the heck out of it)...
Damn, that's the dream for me.. I've always struggled with growing nice carpets.
I trimmed the whole tank 2 weeks ago, and the new growth is still browning.
But I will definitely try increasing my dosing, thank you guys!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ah, I was thinking you hadnt trimmed. Something is off for sure.

When my tank was new I would get a healthy amount of green dust algae by day 5 or 6. But I was running at 4 Gh and light on macros. I guess Gh can be considered a macro as well, lol. Once I bumped up to 6 Gh (I'm now at 8) and increased macros everything took off and I can now go 2 weeks without seeing anything on the glass as well as all the algae that collected on my driftwood has completely gone away. And I get 1hr of direct sunlight every day these days.

I like @Asteroid approach to lighting though. I am only at 3 hrs of full intensity on my led, 6 hrs total.

Hope everything comes around and let us know.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode