• 3 Post By Leeatl
  • 1 Post By Nature Freak
  • 1 Post By Bunsen Honeydew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Large Crypts

I have never grown Crypts this large before and have no idea what has made them grow like this now . Just wanted to share.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200808_171929_Film1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	901811  

Name:	20200808_172000_Film1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	901813  

Desert Pupfish likes this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 03:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow nice!

Tank details please? Substrate, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

And I forgot - how big were they when planted?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-13-2020 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The leaves were maybe 2 inches long when I planted them . They are in a mix of BDBS and pool filter sand . No CO2 , Easy Green once a week after a water change .
Discusluv and Desert Pupfish like this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 08:17 PM
Algae Grower

Thanks for the details, now I'm even more intrigued.

Just goes to show root tabs aren't necessary.

I've got a 10 gallon low tech and while the crypts and small swords haven't died, they're not exactly thriving. I just put Nicog root tabs in a few days ago. Wasn't sure what else to do. So far, I'd just been dosing weekly with Easy Green like you.

The tank's got Aquasoil but I thought perhaps it was spent because it's 10 months old. Or not deep enough (1st adventure with Aquasoil and it settled so maybe there's an inch instead of two).

Just 3 more questions if you don't mind?

#1 what's the light source?

#2 where did you get the plants?

#3 size of tank?

Whatever you're doing, I'm going to try it! Your crypts are amazing! . Are your other plants doing equally as well?

Thanks!

This tank has a finnex clip on light (photo period 8 hrs a day) the Java Ferns filled in, but you can't tell there's a bunch of crypts as well as three swords (smaller variety, but still.. haven't grown that much).

I'm very interested bcs we'll likely be moving w/in the next year, so as long as I've got to tear down the tank, I'm curious about my options. I'd like to get a bigger tank, and while I like Aquasoil (the Nature Tank edition) I'm not married to it. I thought plants would do better in a soil base, but obviously I've got a lot to learn.

BDBS is a lot more economical than AS.

One good thing about the AS is it made it easy to cycle the tank (by initially leeching a lot of ammonia) and it seems to keep the tank very stable. I wasn't able to tend to it once for 3 weeks (bad, I know) but the water parameters remained totally fine (0,0, 20). Maybe something to do with the plants specifically the Pothos giant roots?

I'll take a pic of my lame crypts for reference.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Don't mind questions at all , that is what this forum is all about . It is a 75 gal custom acrylic tank . I have a 4 foot Beamswork led light with just blue and white leds on an eight hour cycle . It is just 16 inches tall so I have a ramp timer/dimmer on the light set to 85% intensity . Now I don't remember where I got the original plants . That is a story in itself . I had this tank and a 30 long , which I still have running too , when in 2018 I had major heart issues and needed to break down both tanks . I gave away all the fish and plants , or so I thought , and went to the hospital . I had left about 4 inches of water in the 30 long . When I got out and after some therapy my wife asked me to restart the 30 . Well the first thing was to finish cleaning it up and to my surprise it still had some crypts of a couple different varieties and some Platy juveniles . Now this is a few months after I thought I had tore down the tank . Well I got it up and running and the plants thrived as did the Platys . After a while I got the bug and set up the 75 and used the runners the Crypts had put out in the 30 to populate the 75 and that is where the large ones came from and I still have some of the original Platys and their offspring . We do so much to keep our little worlds going and yet these bits of life kept going through hell .
Sorry so long but only way I could explain....lol I have since added different plants and fish to both tanks .
Swords do better with root tabs , I use them on mine . My other plants do ok , but some would like CO2 , but I am not going that route . I use Pothos and Arrow Head Plants too and I just trim the roots as needed . I don't know of anything I have done to cause the kind of growth these 2 Crypts are showing . Hope some of this will help you .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200810_174303_Film1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	901891  

Name:	20200810_174352_Film1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	901893  

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 12:03 AM
Algae Grower

On the left is a crypt that won't grow, on the right is an Amazon that won't grow, either.

Excuse the fish photo bomb.

OMG sorry about your health scare and glad you're okay now.

Thanks for all the details - quite an amazing story . Yours isn't the first time I've heard someone say they thought nothing was in an old tank yet they get surprised

Your tanks are stunning and inspiring! Did I read correctly - no injection?

Perhaps your crypt appreciates the water circulation? Can't think of anything else, LoL or maybe you've got a green aquatic thumb?

I know a HOB isn't the greatest for circulation (it's packed with foam tho and bio filters well) when I upgrade I'll work out better circulation.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-13-2020 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I am not sure about the plant you are calling a Crypt . Please circle it and resend pic . As far as the Amazon goes , take it out of the pot and plant it in the substrate . Plant the roots and leave the crown out of the sub . Put a root tab under it and you will see a big difference in a week or 3 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Freak View Post
OMG sorry about your health scare and glad you're okay now.

Thanks for all the details - quite an amazing story . Yours isn't the first time I've heard someone say they thought nothing was in an old tank yet they get surprised

Your tanks are stunning and inspiring! Did I read correctly - no injection?

Perhaps your crypt appreciates the water circulation? Can't think of anything else, LoL or maybe you've got a green aquatic thumb?

I know a HOB isn't the greatest for circulation (it's packed with foam tho and bio filters well) when I upgrade I'll work out better circulation.

My 30 gal lives on 2 HOB's and I have never had a problem with them . The 75 has an overflow and sump and I use 2 HOB's for strictly polishing effects , so HOB's are just as good as any . IMHO you need a bigger tank . The bigger tanks are easier to maintain . I would get a 20 gal long at minimum .
No CO2 injection , I don't want the expense . Stunning is an over statement , compared to some you can see here and on the net , but I thank you for that . I just do what looks good to me .

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
How tall are the crypts? I've had some about 12-16" before. I think that they were light starved though. Better lighting and ferts made them stay low and carpet.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 03:00 AM
Algae Grower

Ha. Well, stunning for no CO2 - the bottom pic.

Yes I'm waiting for the move to upgrade tank. I've seen some small tanks full of plants so who knows. They're not dying so that's a plus

Leeatl likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
How tall are the crypts? I've had some about 12-16" before. I think that they were light starved though. Better lighting and ferts made them stay low and carpet.

They are around 10 inches or so . Might be light starved some , but I can't increase lights due to algae . I am still trying to get this tank dialed in....lol

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
They are around 10 inches or so . Might be light starved some , but I can't increase lights due to algae . I am still trying to get this tank dialed in....lol
I hear that. Especially in a low tech tank, it is all about balance.
Leeatl likes this.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode