Plants melting in an established tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Irenical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Plants melting in an established tank

I posted this over in my journal but more people will probably see my question over here. Sorry if this is frowned upon but I need help before everything starts to go.

I don't know what happened but my crypts are melting at a rapid rate. Within 1 week this plant has pretty much melted away. I noticed it mid week and by Sunday this is what I have left. The marsilea hirsute started to die off also, but only in the one spot. Today I noticed more spots of the MH starting to go brown now too

The crypts were putting off runners all over the aquarium until this happened.

The only thing I changed in the past week was floating cutting of a coleus plant next to my pothos cutting. Didn't really think much of it until things started melting. Dosing, lights, water changes and C02 have all been constant. Nitrates were around 40ppm, phosphates around 2ppm.

I did a 60% water change today and vacuumed out a bunch of the dead leaves and stuff that I could. These photos were taken after the water change. Hopefully this is enough to fix whatever is happening.

The cutting was taken out mid week when I noticed the issues.

Anyone have thoughts?

The last photo was from 6-15-2020 to see how the plants did look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	melting3-8-3-2020.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	901659  

Name:	melting2-8-3-2020.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	901661  

Name:	meltingcrypt.jpg
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	901663  

Name:	20LONG_061520_0165.jpg
Size:	466.5 KB
ID:	901665  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 04:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The way that they were growing flat (close to the substrate) before looks like the lighting may have been a little intense for them. Have you fed the roots lately? Loss of nutrients at the roots+intense lighting could cause this.

I recently went from 30w daylight leds to 20w RGB leds and my crypts exploded.

At 30w all white they laid close to the ground with little growth. Bottom righthand foreground.

At 20w RGB notice more leaves growing upward. Same locations.

Just my best guess.

75g...medium tech...?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I appreciate the reply Crazylegs78.

I have not fed the roots, but there is dirt under the sand and I dose EI. The tank has been for 8 months so I hadn't thought much about root tabs yet.

I cleaned out a bunch of the dying/dead plants this past Sunday before the water change. It seems like the wave of death has stopped because the crypt is actually starting to throw up some new growth. Hopefully they come back because they were my favorite plants in the tank.

I really feel like it was the coleus cutting I was trying to root in the tank. Pothos was never a problem, didn't think this was would.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8-12-2020.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	901947  

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 01:44 AM
Algae Grower

Have you checked that your heater is still working properly? If it stopped working a temperature change could also be causing this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 08:15 AM
Algae Grower

The only change you did was add the pathos and coleus to the system?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenical View Post
The only change you did was add the pathos and coleus to the system?

Just added the coleus. The pothos has been in the tank for months with no issue.

The heater is functioning properly and is hooked up to an inkbird controller. If anything the tank runs a bit warmer in the summer but never gets over 82. Temp is set to 77 with a 2 degree threshold.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 02:14 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by typically View Post
Just added the coleus. The pothos has been in the tank for months with no issue.

The heater is functioning properly and is hooked up to an inkbird controller. If anything the tank runs a bit warmer in the summer but never gets over 82. Temp is set to 77 with a 2 degree threshold.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
My only thought is maybe the pothos and coleus was pulling way more nutrients out of the water column then you realized, I've never run pothos or coleus in a tank. For other reasons mostly because I don't see the need and find the plant take away from my view experience. At the end of the day I would take the pothos out also, and see what happen from just that after a week, but keep your current scheduled maintenance. Changing to much at once could do more harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenical View Post
My only thought is maybe the pothos and coleus was pulling way more nutrients out of the water column then you realized, I've never run pothos or coleus in a tank. For other reasons mostly because I don't see the need and find the plant take away from my view experience. At the end of the day I would take the pothos out also, and see what happen from just that after a week, but keep your current scheduled maintenance. Changing to much at once could do more harm.

Also throw some root tabs in there 8 months it's about that time anywho

typically likes this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-16-2020 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I did think about the nutrients that the cuttings were pulling. I tested my nitrates and they were abundant 40+ before water change. TDS was in the normal range for this tank. The pothos that is in the tank has all of 4 leaves and the coleus was only about 4 leaves. It's possible they were pulling a lot of nutrients but it's not at the top of my list. I think I'm going to leave the pothos in the tank.

I read that coleus can be toxic to cats. Maybe that same toxin had an adverse affect on the crypts and MH? The fish in the tank are all still alive and doing well. The other plants in the tank didn't suffer anything.

Luckily the crypts and MH seem to be coming back now. The one thing that has changed since the die off is the removal of the coleus clipping. I will not be trying that again!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 12:57 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by typically View Post
I did think about the nutrients that the cuttings were pulling. I tested my nitrates and they were abundant 40+ before water change. TDS was in the normal range for this tank. The pothos that is in the tank has all of 4 leaves and the coleus was only about 4 leaves. It's possible they were pulling a lot of nutrients but it's not at the top of my list. I think I'm going to leave the pothos in the tank.

I read that coleus can be toxic to cats. Maybe that same toxin had an adverse affect on the crypts and MH? The fish in the tank are all still alive and doing well. The other plants in the tank didn't suffer anything.

Luckily the crypts and MH seem to be coming back now. The one thing that has changed since the die off is the removal of the coleus clipping. I will not be trying that again!
I kind of want to do/see a test with that toxicity thing. Would be kind of neat if that was the case.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode