1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
Hi @veliscorin,

Post some pictures of the H. corymbosa when you get a chance. -Roy

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2020, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi @Seattle_Aquarist,

This FTS is from July 28. Looking bad.

After I ripped most plants, I also cut as much as I could. H. Corymbosa pic is from 3 days agao.

Cheers
Veliscorin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	500028100395_69646.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	379.9 KB
ID:	902201  

Click image for larger version

Name:	500013100633_365566.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	902203  

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2020, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @veliscorin,

I don't believe I saw this information in previous posts. You mentioned you were in Singapore so it is possible that your water is very soft. Do you happen to know your:

pH =
dKH =
dGH =

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @veliscorin,

I don't believe I saw this information in previous posts. You mentioned you were in Singapore so it is possible that your water is very soft. Do you happen to know your:

pH =
dKH =
dGH =
Hi @Seattle_Aquarist

Tap
- PH = 7.6
- KH = 2 ~ 3
- GH = 4 ~ 5

Tank water
- PH = Around 6.8 to 7 before CO2, definitely 6 when CO2 is at peak
- KH = 2 ~ 3
- GH = 5 ~ 6

Does soft water and gh/kh matter for plants though?
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by veliscorin View Post
Hi @Seattle_Aquarist

Tap
- PH = 7.6
- KH = 2 ~ 3
- GH = 4 ~ 5

Tank water
- PH = Around 6.8 to 7 before CO2, definitely 6 when CO2 is at peak
- KH = 2 ~ 3
- GH = 5 ~ 6

Does soft water and gh/kh matter for plants though?
Hi @veliscorin,

Absolutely, the dKH measures calcium carbonate. The dGH measures calcium and magnesium with a reading that is given in calcium equivalents. The plants primarily need calcium for cell wall production. Magnesium is necessary for photosynthesis. A insufficient available calcium can cause leaf margins to become 'wavy or scalloped' and poor leaf development with 'melted' looking areas and this first shows up in newer leaves. Insufficient available magnesium typically shows up as interveinal chlorosis followed by necrosis and premature leaf drop in older leaves.

Roy_________

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi @Seattle_Aquarist,

Thank you for the information. In this case, I'm assuming a few more points of kh will be better for me? I've read comments online that we should hardly need to artificially alter our tap water kh/gh though.

Cheers
Veliscorin
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 12:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The vast majority of plants prefer very soft water and most of the time Ca and Mg supplied by the substrate (active) and tap are sufficient. I would look to lighting, co2 and the build up of organics as the issue. Many times algae on leaves will cause plants to appear as if there is a fert issue. The Chihiros RGB sounds like a lot of light on a 5g. Do you know the PAR and how are you running it.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi @Asteroid

Lights at 2100 lm according to their website. I run it at 100% red, 50% green and blue. Not sure what that translates into lumen. I'm getting mixed advice (from LFS here) that my lights are just average and I could do max. I too feel it is too bright that's why I toned to 100-50-50.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veliscorin View Post
Hi @Asteroid

Lights at 2100 lm according to their website. I run it at 100% red, 50% green and blue. Not sure what that translates into lumen. I'm getting mixed advice (from LFS here) that my lights are just average and I could do max. I too feel it is too bright that's why I toned to 100-50-50.
Generally speaking 2100 lm on a 5g sounds like alot of light. Usually running a short peak period like 2 hrs and the rest fairly dim is a good way to drive strong light to the carpet and curtail algae. I've easily grown out full carpets of beautiful HC with a 2hr peak and 5 hr total light period. You could go longer than 5 just keep it fairly dim other than the 2 hr peak.

Dosing the full cocktail plus an active substrate and tap my money is on light, co2 and organic removal. I would also think about adding activated carbon to the filter. Most of the algae issues you SEE now started at the beginning when the spores (there everywhere) are triggered by the most minute ammonia levels. I start every tank with carbon for 2 months. Somehow the tanks grow on. The idea that carbon removes nitrate, phosphate and other nutrients we dose is just not true. In a high tech tank that receives regular dosing its a non-issue. It's more important to keep the tank, especially a new one pristine from a toxin standpoint until it matures.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi @Asteroid thanks for your advice. I'm not sure dimming it down to 2hrs intense and total 5 hrs will cause any issue for now, so I'm putting 4 hrs intense, keeping total duration at 8. I'm guessing slowly reducing could be better?

As for the carbon, I have purigen in it's place. The next filter wash I'll swap for the stock carbon pad (which I removed since day 1).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode