Why stem plant not rooting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why stem plant not rooting

Unlike my rosette plants that develop strong roots after a while, my stems fail to root and keep coming off the gravel substrate. Whatís the problem. I am referring to my mermaid weed and Hygrophila polysperma stems, both are easy plant. No fish dug them out, and I make sure they are planted deep and tight But they just keep coming off without developing anchoring roots now and then that drove me crazy to keep replanting them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 11:54 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
Unlike my rosette plants that develop strong roots after a while, my stems fail to root and keep coming off the gravel substrate. Whatís the problem. I am referring to my mermaid weed and Hygrophila polysperma stems, both are easy plant. No fish dug them out, and I make sure they are planted deep and tight But they just keep coming off without developing anchoring roots now and then that drove me crazy to keep replanting them.
I have a beautiful Polysperma tank, they created roots after the addition of rootabs and rich substrate because they were beign feed by liquid fertilizers.....also, gravel like substrate wont stuck them in place. They are water nutrient catcher instead of rooting down for nutrients but they do root down if benefits are provided for them.

Look at my pictures

What could u do? Wait for the roots to grow anthem ypu attach them. Thats what i did and thats what i do when propagating them.

Good luck, go to an aquarium specialized store and talk with the staff or owners, they are wise.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

This is another tank with trimmed hygrophilla just propagated

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-05-2020 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Hygro does have strong roots, but the leaves are too coarse to be polysperma. My polysperma has finer leaves, red tint and white veins on top. Can it be Blue Hygro or some other large leaf species

I never know that root tab can promote root growth, and will try to see if it helps.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 09:11 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
Your Hygro does have strong roots, but the leaves are too coarse to be polysperma. My polysperma has finer leaves, red tint and white veins on top. Can it be Blue Hygro or some other large leaf species

I never know that root tab can promote root growth, and will try to see if it helps.
yeah looks like hygrophila corymbosa "siamensis".

with respect to stems rotting at the substrate, could be sign of a "hot" substrate, soil that is not fully mineralized.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode