• 1 Post By Tinanti
  • 1 Post By Asteroid
  • 1 Post By Seattle_Aquarist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plant ID?

Can anyone tell me what this is? It's in my foreground and I'd like to get more. It's been a super slow grower so using cuttings isn't much of an option.

Bump: oops! It's sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200731_172504.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	612.3 KB
ID:	901587  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 11:55 AM
Algae Grower

Use the app plantsnap. Looks like so.e type of rotala?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 03:43 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
Myriophyllum guyana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Myriophyllum guyana
Not to nitpick, but it's probably better to say Myriophyllum sp. from Guyana or Myriophyllum sp. 'Guyana", etc. It gets tough when trade names get confused with species names.
burr740 likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinanti View Post
Not to nitpick, but it's probably better to say Myriophyllum sp. from Guyana or Myriophyllum sp. 'Guyana", etc. It gets tough when trade names get confused with species names.
If I'm being honest this is a hobbyist forum and within the context of that there is nothing wrong with stating "Myriophyllum guyana" IMO.

In fact if one went looking for the plant to purchase that would be more accurate. Within the context of a scientific forum I would agree with you.
Uncle_R likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
If I'm being honest this is a hobbyist forum and within the context of that there is nothing wrong with stating "Myriophyllum guyana" IMO.

In fact if one went looking for the plant to purchase that would be more accurate. Within the context of a scientific forum I would agree with you.
I disagree.

The pseudo-scientific names that float around genuinely confuse people and make things more difficult for those who want to learn more about nomenclature, taxonomy and the care of what they're growing. Also, we as hobbyists don't exist in isolation from the scientific world and the flow of information back and forth between the two isn't helped when sellers (or whoever) just make stuff up. Having everyone on the same page with the right name can really help. It's hardly the end of the world if not everyone who grows these plants knows all the fine details, but knowing the right name for something makes communication easier, thereby moving the hobby forward and sometimes, science as well.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
Hi All,

I agree with @Tinanti that we should endeavor to use the correct scientific names whenever possible. Common names can be very, very confusing. An example would be the variety of names for various Bucephalandra species. Granted it is likely many have not been scientifically identified with DNA analysis at this point however I swear that I've seen exactly the same species with the same picture identified with two different names. Common names are just plain inaccurate sometimes. -Roy
Tinanti likes this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinanti View Post
I disagree.

The pseudo-scientific names that float around genuinely confuse people and make things more difficult for those who want to learn more about nomenclature, taxonomy and the care of what they're growing. Also, we as hobbyists don't exist in isolation from the scientific world and the flow of information back and forth between the two isn't helped when sellers (or whoever) just make stuff up. Having everyone on the same page with the right name can really help. It's hardly the end of the world if not everyone who grows these plants knows all the fine details, but knowing the right name for something makes communication easier, thereby moving the hobby forward and sometimes, science as well.
You can certainly disagree, but I'm sticking to my original thought. My point was really not about what's right or wrong, but simply context. The very nature of a forum is to abbreviate things and on top of that its a hobbyist forum and I would gather to think most are not going to worry about hitting the 'sp.' on their keyboard. It's just not going to happen. I realize this is a plant ID thread, but most of the traffic is in journals where plants are seen in a setup and someone following the journal wants to acquire it. I can assure you that most are not using the exact scientific name so to correct someone here to me seems unnecessary and futile. Heck Tropica which is one of the largest growers of aquarium plants doesn't use it, because within the hobbyist community it's just not necessary.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

Last edited by Asteroid; 08-03-2020 at 11:09 PM. Reason: .
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
You can certainly disagree, but I'm sticking to my original thought. My point was really not about what's right or wrong, but simply context. The very nature of a forum is to abbreviate things and on top of that its a hobbyist forum and I would gather to think most are not going to worry about hitting the 'sp.' on their keyboard. It's just not going to happen. I realize this is a plant ID thread, but most of the traffic is in journals where plants are seen in a setup and someone following the journal wants to acquire it. I can assure you that most are not using the exact scientific name so to correct someone here to me seems unnecessary and futile. Heck Tropica which is one of the largest growers of aquarium plants doesn't use it, because within the hobbyist community it's just not necessary.
The purpose of ID threads is to clear things up, is it not? Whether you take that into the journal threads is up to you. Do I go into any of those to set the record straight? Whether it matters to you or not, there is a right and wrong way to write things and the correct way has to be somewhere. I'm not correcting him, so to speak, and you may notice that he liked my post. I'm speaking as someone who knows the ins and outs of taxonomy and the botanical code really well and whose niche is clarifying all that stuff. It's been that way for a long time (along with plant collecting) and will probably continue to be because people ask me regularly. In fact, I was hardly on this site at all until one of the former mods invited me here to help with IDs. It's just what I do. I still maintain that a bit too much informality can indeed result in confusion. But I can't make you or anyone else do anything; if you don't want to write it a certain way, don't, I guess.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode