How can I disinfect plants? Can I used just tap water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
How can I disinfect plants? Can I used just tap water?

How can I disinfect plants for a new aquarium build I'm working on.

I was thinking of maybe just filling up the entire new aquarium with tap water without water conditioner.

My tap water has Chloramines in it which I understand to not be as effective as chlorine however more stable.

So perhaps leaving it in there for 2 weeks submersed in Chloramines might do the job?

I have an old goldfish that I have had for like 10+ years and I want to move him to a larger aquarium with some plants and stuff but I don't want to get him infected with some kind of new disease.

What do you think of my idea to disinfect the plants?

Thanks.

P.S. Also if you have plant recommendation for Goldfish, that would be helpful too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 12:32 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Disinfecting plants is usually done with things like (dilute) bleach, hydrogen peroxide, potassium permanganate, alum, etc.

However, as you are going to leave it in a separate container (with no other fish) for 2 weeks, any piscine parasites/diseases should be eliminated (as they have no host).

However, that being said, your goldfish may well eat whatever plants you throw at it!

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Disinfecting plants is usually done with things like (dilute) bleach, hydrogen peroxide, potassium permanganate, alum, etc.

However, as you are going to leave it in a separate container (with no other fish) for 2 weeks, any piscine parasites/diseases should be eliminated (as they have no host).

However, that being said, your goldfish may well eat whatever plants you throw at it!
Thanks for the information.

I have heard that certain plants are goldfish proof. Perhaps by having tough leaves, not tasting good or growing faster than the goldfish can eat it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 04:12 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnukesalot007 View Post
Thanks for the information.

I have heard that certain plants are goldfish proof. Perhaps by having tough leaves, not tasting good or growing faster than the goldfish can eat it.
Yes, these characteristics will definitely be likelier candidates!

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 02:50 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post

I am getting ready to plant my first tank this weekend. I was originally hoping to be able to do 100% tissue cultures, but between supply chain issues and wanting some plants that I haven't seen as cultures, I'm on a mostly farmed path now that runs some introduction risks.

I wasn't planning on adding fish for a while until the tank was stabilized somewhat, so this is less about piscine parasites/diseases as it is about snails in particular. I just really don't want any for now and when/if I do, I want to be specific. I'd also like to avoid the regular run of other bugs and parasites that will probably be hitching a ride.

That being said, I have on hand and am comfortable with potassium permanganate as I use it for my koi/pond for occasional issues (just on a much much much larger scale at 3000 gallons or as a concentrated dip) My koi pond is not planted, so I have never had a concern with plants before.

A new fish koi dip is 200ppm for about 90 seconds while a whole pond treatment is about 4ppm for 8 hours.

Does anybody have experience with PP dips/treatments for new plants?

I assume some plants are much more sensitive than others and there may not be a lot of knowledge there. My gut tells me mosses would be on the sensitive side because of how delicate they are as well as anything else with more delicate stem or leaf structure, but I honestly don't know. I do know that PP consumes all the algae it touches and after neutralizing with H2O2 or Sodium Thiosulfate, my pond water is gin clear for a while.

Thanks!
plat.

17 Gal Lifegard (23.5x12x14.5)
Fluval 107 - Fluval Plant 3.0 - Hydor Inline 200W - Bettatail Reg/Inline CO2
Fluval Stratum/CaribSea Eco-Complete

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode