Dutch style: advice on how to begin? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By nickandjess2008
  • 1 Post By rzn7z7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Dutch style: advice on how to begin?

Hi

I have recently torn down my 120 (60Ē x 18Ē X 26Ē tall) and am redoing it from the substrate up. Iím thinking about aquascapes. I have rainbowfish ó which are large compared to the smattering of tetras that I see in many gorgeous planted tanks where the focus is obviously plants. I am drawn to two different styles: driftwood draped in mosses and java and anubias nana, and then, by contrast, the Dutch style with all stem plants.

Currently, Iím leaning towards the latter, so the topic for THIS thread is: how to begin? My tank is fully cycled since I just transferred the fish and filter that I already had going to the same tank after moving it to a new room in my house and stripping it. Right now, itís bare bottom with one small piece of driftwood which has a good assortment of column feeders attached. (The rest of this tankís previous iterations had a lot of Pennywort and other common plants all overgrown like a jungle. I almost just sold out... but then I couldnít kill the fish I had left, so I decided to re-up).

So: I have CO2, delivered via a cerges, and new lights: a hybrid fixture with 4 HO T-5 bulbs over the tank and also 2 AI Prime LEDs over the right and left center of the tank. So: plenty of light.

I love Buce... and many other stem plants. My inspirations currently come from Tom Barr and Joe Harvey. I love especially this tank: https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...s/joe-harvey-1 and this one:
https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...ideas/tom-barr

So the questions are:

1) How to start with Dutch: are there plants that are better suited to a newer tank? Or do I blow a wad of cash on a bunch of stems and start right in?

2) I already have great dosing ferts. Do I need to use a substrate, or can I use root tabs? (And can someone tell me where to buy the latter ó I forget! Thanks!)

OK. Thatís all for now. ANY help/sense of direction (with specific plant names) would be SO appreciated!

Tanks a bunch!

My current 120 tank journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
Traditional Dutch aquascapes use sand or smaller gravel for substrates, but Aquasoil type substrates have changed things quite a bit. I just started a Dutch scape in a 10g with Fluval Stratum.

I recommend buying a bunch of different stem plants and see which grow well for you and then use those for a finalized scape. Even with a small aquarium I got 19 species to start and found out that Rotala "H'ra" is the fastest and healthiest growing, but the rest are all doing great. Plan ahead! At first it won't look that great, but give it time to grow along with trimming and it will be lush in no time!

Here's a link to my old 100g.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...-inspired.html
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

THANKS for the response. REALLY helpful. Where would you go to buy plants? Got any favorite vendors?

Tanks a bunch!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcia

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks! View Post
THANKS for the response. REALLY helpful. Where would you go to buy plants? Got any favorite vendors?
Here on TPT or Barr Report in the for sale sections. Reddit has aquaswap. Avoid the store AZ Gardens please...but I've never had an issue with aquariumplants.com.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The other way I can go is with a big driftwood center of the tank with lower light plants on it, and then stems in pots around it (with bare bottom). Sort of avant guard....?

This is the piece of driftwood Iím considering. #3532 37"x27"x20" $80 - Manzanita-Driftwood.com

Bump: THANKS for those tips. Iíll be back to bother you again later! ;-)

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I bought about 6 different plants from GLA and was extremely happy with the quality. The only drawback was the shipping cost. $20'ish
doug105! likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 01:33 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:

A couple of my faves...

https://www.liquidcreations.co/
https://www.hanaquatics.com/
doug105! likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode