Vals Sp. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fishguy1978

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Vals Sp.

I was discussing the inability to maintain healthy specimens of Vals here in the Puget Sound area with a fellow hobbyist who has had similar experience. I have Christel Kasselmann's book "Aquarium Plants" 2003, Krieger Publishing Co. and will reference her material from her collection of water and plant specimens. See page 41 and 435-440. She made collections in the Rift lakes and New Guinea of Val sp. with the following water samples cited.

Lake T. Zaire
Ph 9.5
Temp 27c
Kh 18.4 degrees
Gh 11.03

Papua New Guinea samples
Ph 8.2
Temp 26c
KH 14
GH 8

The Vals growing in Lake T were shorter and in more protected locations like bays and coves. Specimens were typically 5cm long with thick leaves. There were specimens growing close to rocks that obtained H= 40cm. Plants were growing in sandy substrate.
The Papua N.G. specimens were growing in a river with strong water movement with lengths over 2m. Growing in loamy substrate.

I tested my water here in Fircrest, WA on 21JUN and came up with the following readings. This was from an API master test kit that is less than 2 years old and being a visual color test is sketchy on accuracy.
Ph 6.8-7.2 performed both high and low Ph tests. Definitely lower than 7.4
KH 7-8 degrees (took 6-7 drops to change color)
GH 161.1 ppm (took 9 drops to change color)

My next step was testing 3 of my aquariums that are planted so I chose the 90g with sparse plants, the 29g standard with heavy plants, and the 30g BF with heavy plants. I performed a high and low ph test on each tank as I added a 1/2 - 1 tspn of baking soda to each planted tank 20JUN regardless of tank volume. This disproportionate value will effect the outcome of this test. No CO2 injection. Occasional addition of SeaChem Flourish at 1ml/12 gallons.

90g
Ph 7.6-8.0
KH 6 (6 drops)
GH 161.1 ppm (9 drops)
Substrate is mixed gravel over a UGF with recent addition of ADA root tabs.
Stock: 5 angels, 4 tetras, 2 Rafael cats, 2 BN plecos
Plants: Vals, Guppy grass, dwarf sag
Light: Finnex Stingray 12hr cycle

29BF and 29g STD
Ph 7.6-8.0
KH 7 (7 drops to color change)
GH 161.1-179ppm (took 9 or 10 drops to color change)

29BF is dirt capped with black aquarium gravel (Estes?)
Stock: 29BF 7 Honey Gourami, 4 Fork tail Rainbow, 7 Zebra Danio, 1 BNP, Glass Shrimp
Plants: Wendetii Bronze, parva, dwarf sag, Java fern windelov
Light: Current Planted+ 12hr cycle

29 STD
Dirt capped with Cemex Ozark brown
Stock: Guppies, 1 juvenile BNP, 2 Pea Puffers, Cherry Shrimp, Glass Shrimp
Plants: Dwarf Sag, Bronze Wendetii, Guppy grass, Narrow leaf Java fern, Bolbitis
40g
Stock: 8 Green Dragon BN, 1 Lg angel, 1 bumble bee cat, 4 zebra danios, 1 pea puffer, glass shrimp
Plants: Val, Dwarf sag
substrate: mixed gravel, cichlid sand, dirt

Currently the only tanks with Vals are the 90g and a 40g bowfront. The Vals in the 90g are stunted and are not thriving, while the vals in the 40g are growing and producing runners with new plants. The leaves in the 40g do show some nutrient deficiency. The Vals were all purchased from an online supplier and arrived healthy 3 months ago.
Attached Images

The harbinger of doom to the wicked but the fragrance of life for the hopeless. Napalm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 06:33 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy1978 View Post
I was discussing the inability to maintain healthy specimens of Vals here in the Puget Sound area with a fellow hobbyist who has had similar experience. I have Christel Kasselmann's book "Aquarium Plants" 2003, Krieger Publishing Co. and will reference her material from her collection of water and plant specimens. See page 41 and 435-440. She made collections in the Rift lakes and New Guinea of Val sp. with the following water samples cited.

Lake T. Zaire
Ph 9.5
Temp 27c
Kh 18.4 degrees
Gh 11.03

Papua New Guinea samples
Ph 8.2
Temp 26c
KH 14
GH 8

The Vals growing in Lake T were shorter and in more protected locations like bays and coves. Specimens were typically 5cm long with thick leaves. There were specimens growing close to rocks that obtained H= 40cm. Plants were growing in sandy substrate.
The Papua N.G. specimens were growing in a river with strong water movement with lengths over 2m. Growing in loamy substrate.

I tested my water here in Fircrest, WA on 21JUN and came up with the following readings. This was from an API master test kit that is less than 2 years old and being a visual color test is sketchy on accuracy.
Ph 6.8-7.2 performed both high and low Ph tests. Definitely lower than 7.4
KH 7-8 degrees (took 6-7 drops to change color)
GH 161.1 ppm (took 9 drops to change color)

My next step was testing 3 of my aquariums that are planted so I chose the 90g with sparse plants, the 29g standard with heavy plants, and the 30g BF with heavy plants. I performed a high and low ph test on each tank as I added a 1/2 - 1 tspn of baking soda to each planted tank 20JUN regardless of tank volume. This disproportionate value will effect the outcome of this test. No CO2 injection. Occasional addition of SeaChem Flourish at 1ml/12 gallons.

90g
Ph 7.6-8.0
KH 6 (6 drops)
GH 161.1 ppm (9 drops)
Substrate is mixed gravel over a UGF with recent addition of ADA root tabs.
Stock: 5 angels, 4 tetras, 2 Rafael cats, 2 BN plecos
Plants: Vals, Guppy grass, dwarf sag

29BF and 29g STD
Ph 7.6-8.0
KH 7 (7 drops to color change)
GH 161.1-179ppm (took 9 or 10 drops to color change)

29BF is dirt capped with black aquarium gravel (Estes?)
Stock: 29BF 7 Honey Gourami, 4 Fork tail Rainbow, 7 Zebra Danio, 1 BNP, Glass Shrimp
Plants: Wendetii Bronze, parva, dwarf sag, Java fern windelov
Light: Current Planted+ 12hr cycle

29 STD
Dirt capped with Cemex Ozark brown
Stock: Guppies, 1 juvenile BNP, 2 Pea Puffers, Cherry Shrimp, Glass Shrimp
Plants: Dwarf Sag, Bronze Wendetii, Guppy grass, Narrow leaf Java fern, Bolbitis
40g
Stock: 8 Green Dragon BN, 1 Lg angel, 1 bumble bee cat, 4 zebra danios, 1 pea puffer, glass shrimp
Plants: Val, Dwarf sag
substrate: mixed gravel, cichlid sand, dirt

Currently the only tanks with Vals are the 90g and a 40g bowfront. The Vals in the 90g are stunted and are not thriving, while the vals in the 40g are growing and producing runners with new plants. The leaves in the 40g do show some nutrient deficiency. The Vals were all purchased from an online supplier and arrived healthy 3 months ago.
Having lived in the Pacific Northwest for 30+ years I have to say that your tap water results are some of the highest I've ever seen. Their more like Eastern Washington. Not Pierce county water.

I'd question the validity of your tests results?

Whether Fircrest tap water is hard or not (I know Olympia is half your values and Tacoma is even less) you can't deny that something funky is going on when you have a Kh of 7 and a pH of 6.8-7.2 out of the tap. That's just not right, lol! It's usually the other way around. Artificially inflated pH due to additives.

Interesting results for sure. Wonder what your results would be with tap water set out for a good 24-48hr period?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld738 View Post
Having lived in the Pacific Northwest for 30+ years I have to say that your tap water results are some of the highest I've ever seen. Their more like Eastern Washington. Not Pierce county water.

I'd question the validity of your tests results?

Whether Fircrest tap water is hard or not (I know Olympia is half your values and Tacoma is even less) you can't deny that something funky is going on when you have a Kh of 7 and a pH of 6.8-7.2 out of the tap. That's just not right, lol! It's usually the other way around. Artificially inflated pH due to additives.

Interesting results for sure. Wonder what your results would be with tap water set out for a good 24-48hr period?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. My test sample was straight from the tap with no treatment. I will take a sample this evening and let it set over night and and 2 more one with Seachem safe and one with Hikari Ultimate.
pauld738 likes this.

The harbinger of doom to the wicked but the fragrance of life for the hopeless. Napalm

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode