Rotala stunted growth--deficiency? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rotala stunted growth--deficiency?

Hi guys,

While I'm seeing slower than expected growth in my tank overall the plants forming atleast appear healthy. My main concern is my rotala colorata which gets lots of stunted tips. The new leaves appear smaller than usual and the edges of the new leaves are often black and sometimes malformed.

I'm dosing thrive 3x per week and I've been going off of nitrate readings to determine if it appears I need to increase dosing. So far with my dosing 3x per week, my nitrate readings tend to increase throughout the week from 5ppm to 25ppm. I know fish contribute as well but it's the best test I can do to correlate to plant growth.

Does this description of the deficiency raise any concerns perhaps with micro nutrients? Should I increase my dosage of thrive? Or maybe dose extra micros separately? I'll add a picture. There are some tips that exhibit this behavior.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200618_002803_1592455075332.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	900007  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 04:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
The bottoms look pretty green, have you had the whole stem color up or just the tips?
what type of lighting do you have? pressurized CO2?

what size tank do you have? weekly water changes?

I think the plant looks normal for the lower light conditions it is under. Not a deficiency in nutrients but of light and CO2

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
The bottoms look pretty green, have you had the whole stem color up or just the tips?
what type of lighting do you have? pressurized CO2?

what size tank do you have? weekly water changes?

I think the plant looks normal for the lower light conditions it is under. Not a deficiency in nutrients but of light and CO2
So far only the tips will color up 😕

Running a nicrew deluxe which apparently based on par ratings is considered high light. It does appear to be a very bright light but I'm not sure.

I use diy co2 but regularly keep co2 levels above 30ppm based on the drop checker.

I've always battled alage using this light even with co2 so I assumed that meant it was considered a high light setup.

The tank is a standard 10 gallon. I follow EI dosing with the thrive and do a weekly 50% water change.

If you think this is based on light deficiency, can you recommend an LED that would provide adequate light for this plant?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 07:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
it might be good to try a second nicrew fixture and see how the plants do under the lights

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 08:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

Excess rather than too little. Which is a problem for many folks on this forum - Most rotala rotundifolia variants do much better with leaner water column dosing, richer substrate feeding. Better coloration, cleaner forms.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode