• 2 Post By Edward
  • 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By Edward

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Plants struggling all the sudden

I’ve had this tank set up for years with various changes, but it’s been exactly the same for at least a year now. My plants were doing really well, especially my hygro, but now it’s struggling.

It’s 50g, with pool filter sand and root tabs. I’ve recently started dosing liquid fertilizer again to correct the problem, but so far doesn’t seem to be helping too much. Plants are hygro, variety of crypts, sag, a couple of small sword varieties, giant duckweed and a few Anubias, nothing high maintenance, being the tank is supposed to be low-tech and low maintenance.

Recently, the old growth on my hygro has gotten covered in algae, and the new growth is incredibly stunted and twisted, which would suggest a calcium deficiency. But my water is naturally very high in calcium, I have a pH of 8.0-8.2, a gH of about 20 degrees and a kH of about 15-17 degrees, so that doesn’t make sense to me, not to mention the root tabs that should be providing nutrients.

Light is a planted+ 24/7, on for 3hrs, off for 4hrs and on for 3hrs, at about 65-50% brightness. Tank is very lightly stocked, 50% water changes every 1-2 weeks.

Any ideas what’s going on and why the sudden changes in my plants? They only started struggling maybe a month ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 03:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
A pic of plants would help diagnose deficiency if any.

What, how much and how often are you dosing?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Here are a few pictures of the stunted growth. I use the PPS Pro system for dosing ferts, which I know is meant to be dosed every day, but for me it’s more like every other day that I remember.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB0315F2-6F0D-443C-90E9-1A9EABDF599C_1591455839971.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	899433  

Click image for larger version

Name:	22661C86-4D93-4CB4-85DF-A4B0B0DCCF01_1591455866621.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	899435  

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 01:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyMuffin View Post
Iíve had this tank set up for years with various changes, but itís been exactly the same for at least a year now. My plants were doing really well, especially my hygro, but now itís struggling.

Recently, the old growth on my hygro has gotten covered in algae, and the new growth is incredibly stunted and twisted, which would suggest a calcium deficiency. But my water is naturally very high in calcium, I have a pH of 8.0-8.2, a gH of about 20 degrees and a kH of about 15-17 degrees, so that doesnít make sense to me, not to mention the root tabs that should be providing nutrients.
Something had to change, maybe your water utility company changed water source or started adding some chemicals. I would check local water report to see what are the concentrations of Ca and Mg. At 20 dGH you may have very high Ca and not enough Mg.
Quagulator and Discusluv like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Something had to change, maybe your water utility company changed water source or started adding some chemicals. I would check local water report to see what are the concentrations of Ca and Mg. At 20 dGH you may have very high Ca and not enough Mg.
Edward, I didnt even read your response-- I just am so thrilled you are here.
Edward likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 01:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Edward, I didnt even read your response-- I just am so thrilled you are here.
That was nice, thank you!
Discusluv likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode