What are these symptoms my swords are exhibitng? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Slyrunner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What are these symptoms my swords are exhibitng?

Hey all!

Quick question. I have root tabs, ferts, CO2 injection and sufficient lighting, but one of my swords, this one in particular, has been on the decline for some time now. I'm not sure what else to do for it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20200601_155307_1591041700353.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	6.15 MB
ID:	899287  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What kind / brand of fertilizers are you using?

How are you monitoring how much CO2 you are using?

What is the tank size and the exact lighting you have?

How long are the lights on per day?

What is your water source? Do you know the KH, GH and pH of the tank water?

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What kind / brand of fertilizers are you using?

Osmo+ as root tabs, with iron twice a week, and API's plant food (easy grow? Something like that?) once a week. Getting nitrate and phosphate target ferts tomorrow in the mail. They are nonzero, and need to be higher.

How are you monitoring how much CO2 you are using?

I have CO2 drop. Keeping it right in the middle of the spectrum. I also have a bubble counter on my CO2 Art reg, but it is uncountable now, needing to saturate a 55gal tank.

What is the tank size and the exact lighting you have?

55gallon, standard. So, what, like 18" deep, mayhaps? I have, currently, a Fluval 3.0 Planted and a CurrentUSA Marine Orbit v1 to supplement the Fluval. However, I am in the market to upgrading the CurrentUSA to better help the Fluval (I'd like to touch on this topic, too).

How long are the lights on per day?

6 hours a day, after I just got done beating a green soup outbreak. Got a UV Filter and blacked out the tank for 3 and a half days, and now it's as clear as day!

What is your water source? Do you know the KH, GH and pH of the tank water?

My water source is from my house. PH is roughly about 7, off the top of my head (if I remember correctly). Maybe a hair under. I don't have the hardness readings, though. But it doesn't seem hard (based strictly on my skin not really drying out after a shower...so take that how you will lol)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

By the way, how do I test for hardness? Is it just one of those kits I get fr Home Depot?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyrunner View Post
By the way, how do I test for hardness? Is it just one of those kits I get fr Home Depot?
API GH/KH tests. You just simply count the drops to color change and it gives you the hardness in degree German hardness. 6drop=6dGH
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Perfect!!! Thank you so much! 🙂 I'll get myself a set! You wouldn't, by chance, have any insight on the situation at hand, do you?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Osmocote+ twice a week is over kill, I would look into a higher quality all in one fertilizer, or since you have some NO3 and PO4 ferts coming in the mail, you can up your water column dosing regime.

Cut off the bad growth on the sword, it will not recover, I'm seeing some algae in there too, perhaps dim the lights down by 25% each for a month and try and get ahead of that green algae and diatom algae.

The more I look at those leaves, the more the look like emersed growth. How long have you had the plant? The emersed growth will always die back when underwater, and be replaced by new, submerged growth. Completely normal.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Osmocote+ twice a week is over kill, I would look into a higher quality all in one fertilizer, or since you have some NO3 and PO4 ferts coming in the mail, you can up your water column dosing regime.

Cut off the bad growth on the sword, it will not recover, I'm seeing some algae in there too, perhaps dim the lights down by 25% each for a month and try and get ahead of that green algae and diatom algae.

The more I look at those leaves, the more the look like emersed growth. How long have you had the plant? The emersed growth will always die back when underwater, and be replaced by new, submerged growth. Completely normal.
Ah, no no I must've mispoken. I only do osmo tabs when needed. I plan on doing it once a month AT the lost (this is a new tank so the original tabs are still kicking). I meant the iron is twice a week.

So, you recommend cutting off that dying leaf, gotcha gotcha!

As far as algae. Yeah, I'm still fighting some diatoms. That leftover filamentous algae is much less than it was before my blackout and UV filter therapy. Still not sure what to do about the diatoms aside from rubbing them off.

As for emersed growth, those swords were originally growing emersed (I think? At least that's what the site implied...if memory serves correctly). I've had this particular plant for close to a month, now
Quagulator likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode