The Planted Tank Forum banner

Plant deficiencies

638 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dwcolahan@yahoo.com 
#1 ·
Hey,

I have a couple of tanks going at the moment. One I have had running for about 2 years now (Black Gravel) and a second one that has been running for about 3 months now. I have various plants in both and was hoping someone can give me some advise or pointers on how to fix what looks to be nutrient deficiencies. I do not have all the parameters of each tank at the moment but I was hoping someone could give an educated guess based on a couple of pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In the tank with the sand (sub-layer of Seachem Flourite Black Clay Gravel) you can see some of the older leaves are turning black around the edges. I was wondering if this could be a magnesium deficiency? This is a 10 gallon tank.

Also in the other tank (Black eco-complete gravel), my cryps are growing weird and mis-shapen. A few leaves on my amazon swards are like this as well. But the swards are still growing nicely. This is a 29 gallon tank. I am wondering if this could be a calcium deficiency.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
First off, welcome to TPT! I hope you find this a helpful and enjoyable community to be part of.

To better help you out it would be good to know more about your tank, including water parameters. Do you have any testing kits to provide things such as NO3 and PO4?

The more details you can give on parameters and fertilizing, lighting etc. the more people will be able to help. That coupled with the pictures you posted should get things moving soon!

#3 ·
10 Gallon (With Flourit gravel topped with Sand):
Phosphate: 3ppm
Ph: 6.8
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Light: Aqueon Aquarium Clip-On LED Light (Planted) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DT31PZ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

On the 10 gallon I have been dosing thrive liquid ferts "Thrive Planted Aquarium Fertilizer -All in One Planted Tank Liquid Fertilizers - Micro & Macro Nutrient Rich Food for Aquatic Plants - Highly Concentrated for 2500 Gallons of Water - Handy Pump Bottle". I will switch to the micros and macros I use on the 29 gal once that bottle is empty. I did not want to just get rid of the stuff. I have not used any root tabs on this tank yet. I just started using pressurized co2 about 2 weeks ago now. The growth is MUCH faster now. I just have the issue of the older leaves turning the nasty brown collor. They do not quit seem to be deteriorating yet like i have had in the past with my 29 gal tank. But I could be wrong on that.

Here is the link for the ferts: https://www.amazon.com/NilocG-Aquat...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3RVRTS8XAARBE1K2ZR2Y

29 Gallon (Black eco-Complete)
Phosphate:2ppm
Ph:6.8
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 15ppm
Light: BeamsWork DA FSPEC LED Aquarium Light Pent Freshwater (30")https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFF07I8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On the 29 gal. tank I use excel everyday/every other day. I dose "NilocG Aquatics | Liquid NPK+M | 500ml Bottles | Highly Concentrated Aquarium Plant Fertilizer for Demanding Planted Tanks" I been dosing that for the past 3 weeks. 3 pumps twice a week per bottle (Monday and Thursday I do one bottle and Tuesday and Friday I dose the other bottle). I use DIY root tabs using osmocote plus. I have noticed when after I add these the Phosphate levels jump pretty high for the next 2-3 weeks then levels back out to what it is now. I do those about once ever 3-4 months.

Here is the link to the micros and macros ferts
https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-NPK-A...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z229ETZGSYN8K23K7XKJ

These are of right now. I do 50% water changes every weekend on both tanks. I do not have Gh or Kh test kits. They come in tomorrow so I will test that when i get them in and let you know.

If there is something I am missing or something you need/want more information on then let me know. I think I was quit thorough in my descriptions.

Thanks for the help.

#4 ·
What could cause this?

I am having issues with my plants. The growth of my plants are fine but the older leaves are turning black slowly and I have no idea why. My parameters all seem to be fine and nothing out of the ordinary from what I can see. If you want me to post all the details about the tank then I can I was just wondering if you could tell by a few images.

My S. Repens show it the most but also my water wisteria shows signs of it and my moneywort just looks ugly (for some reason I can’t grow those things in any tank).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.