• 3 Post By AquaAurora
  • 1 Post By GrampsGrunge
  • 1 Post By stevewb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is my Ozelot Sword pregnant?

Is there any to tell if this will make a flower, or daughter plants, or both? Do I cut it or let her do her thing? She’s never done anything like this before

GrampsGrunge likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 03:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Flower or adventitious baby plant spike. It will probably flower, but there's a good chance you might get baby plants off this.

My advice is to let it keep growing and see what happens.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@GrampsGrunge thank you for the reply.

GrampsGrunge likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
SO if you get it above the water = flower + baby?
ps lovely hygro sunset!
I have a few new (2 months now) swords that came with these stems/shoots already growing-so far 1 is spitting out a lot of babies on its stem... the other is taking its sweet time doing nothing.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 12:25 PM
Algae Grower

Yes, the little tramp is in heat! If you wait until the spike starts putting out leaves and roots, you can pin it down to the gravel and it will take root at each node.

Last edited by LilysDad; 02-24-2020 at 10:17 PM. Reason: mispelling
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
SO if you get it above the water = flower + baby?
ps lovely hygro sunset!
I have a few new (2 months now) swords that came with these stems/shoots already growing-so far 1 is spitting out a lot of babies on its stem... the other is taking its sweet time doing nothing.
Yes, just noticed the leaves of new plant under flower today. Very neat!

Thank you, I really enjoy that plant, it’s just very difficult to keep from growing on top of everything else!

Same, I have two amazon swords. Both of which grew quite large, one shoots a stalk out every so often, the other nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilysDad View Post
Yes, the little tramp is in heat! If you wait until the spike starts putting out leaves and roots, you can pin it down to the grave and it will take root at each node.
Hey, she’s a lady nonetheless. Do you recommend bending the entire stem down into the water intact and burying the plantlets all in one piece, or cut the little guys off and planting? I’ve done the latter with my amazon sword
GrampsGrunge likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 10:21 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewb View Post

Hey, sheís a lady nonetheless. Do you recommend bending the entire stem down into the water intact and burying the plantlets all in one piece, or cut the little guys off and planting? Iíve done the latter with my amazon sword
You can do it either way. If you are going to cut them off, you should be sure the leaves and roots are developed.
stevewb likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I let it grow as long as it will without going out the top, even if I have to add something to hold it down. Once it comes out of the water, it tends to dry too much. But if I give it time, it will start putting out roots at spots along it and when those roots grow long and sturdy enough. I bob them off the main plant, leaving an inch or so at the new roots and plant those in new spaces. Pretty much like taking clipping from garden plants except these have the advantage of already having roots which does make it much more likely to succeed. Once it has good roots, it does not need the old stem but can do it's own thing.
stevewb and Desert Pupfish like this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewb View Post
Thank you, I really enjoy that plant, itís just very difficult to keep from growing on top of everything else!
Mine was weird-had it in a 7g cube and it.. carpeted O.o New roots on stem were close enough to substrate is just pulled itself down and grew along the foreground. Wish I hadn't gotten rid of it (listed illegal/invasive in a lot of places now >.<)

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

The big strap like leaved Swordplant in my avatar was, (was called a E. Hormanii, is now renamed E. Uruguayensis) preparing to add a few young plants off nodes from it's big healthy rhizome, I had to tear that tank down because of a big move and regretted giving it away. I also had a big Ruben sword in my 50 tall, but it neither spiked or had any runner kids..

The Ruben sword was the only time I ever had a real, reddish colored Swordplant in my 1990's era planted tanks.

I had a few small Amazons in my 29 that would get a little orange tinge on their new growth, but nothing at all like the Flame Sword I bought last year that's been putting up dark red colored new leaves nearly every month now.

The plants available now are so much prettier. I remember when Ozelots were selling for nearly $40 each, The Flame Sword is a more intensely colored Ozelot and if it had been for sale in 1993 it would have gone for over $100! Red plants were really rare.
stevewb likes this.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

Last edited by GrampsGrunge; Yesterday at 02:26 AM. Reason: ....
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I will look into that Flame Sword.

Today I've noticed the same Ozelot Sword has sent up another stem which I didnt expect.

You can't see it in this picture, I just wanted to share as this tanks looking a little more okay than it usually does,
GrampsGrunge likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode