Quick giant hairgrass question - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By WinstonAMC
  • 2 Post By Discusluv
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
WinstonAMC's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Providence
Posts: 57
Quick giant hairgrass question

Hey folks, so I know giant hairgrass can be grown emergent or fully aquatic. My question is will it grow emergent if planted aquatic and left to its own devices or will the leaves fold over along the surface of the water like softer leaved plants like vals? Ps, the tank Iím planting them in is 18Ē and Iím doing the DSM


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.
WinstonAMC is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 4,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonAMC View Post
Hey folks, so I know giant hairgrass can be grown emergent or fully aquatic. My question is will it grow emergent if planted aquatic and left to its own devices or will the leaves fold over along the surface of the water like softer leaved plants like vals? Ps, the tank Iím planting them in is 18Ē and Iím doing the DSM


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried growing giant hairgrass in my opened top tank in hopes that it would grow up and out of the water but it just folded over at water line and grew lateral to top of water.

Here it is on the left hand side in picture below. I finally took it out and put in another aquarium and planted some Poaceaae sp. 'Purple Bamboo' instead. Just planted a few days ago so hoping it will give me some good emergent growth.



zdrc and Desert Pupfish like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Discusluv is online now  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 05:19 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I tried growing giant hairgrass in my opened top tank in hopes that it would grow up and out of the water but it just folded over at water line and grew lateral to top of water.

Here it is on the left hand side in picture below. I finally took it out and put in another aquarium and planted some Poaceaae sp. 'Purple Bamboo' instead. Just planted a few days ago so hoping it will give me some good emergent growth.



I'm interested in this too! I was going to do a Pond-style aquascape and I was thinking of having giant hairgrass as one of the emersed plants.

In you case, did the giant hairgrass start fully submersed?

Also, at what depth can you plant purple bamboo? Assuming it grows the same as normal bamboo, wouldn't maintaining the bamboo be a real chore?
zdrc is online now  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 4,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdrc View Post
I'm interested in this too! I was going to do a Pond-style aquascape and I was thinking of having giant hairgrass as one of the emersed plants.

In you case, did the giant hairgrass start fully submersed?

Also, at what depth can you plant purple bamboo? Assuming it grows the same as normal bamboo, wouldn't maintaining the bamboo be a real chore?
The hairgrass did start fully submersed on top shelf, maybe if you grew it partially emersed it would grow differently? Dont know.


The bamboo came as very small cuttings, I put stem in soil at about 1/2 inch depth. It does not grow as prolifically as ( nor is it considered) a "true" bamboo. Read about it here:
https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticpl...-purple-bamboo


Have you read this on Pond-style aquarium?
https://buceplant.com/blogs/news/a-q...hrimpery-on-ig


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Discusluv is online now  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 06:48 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
The hairgrass did start fully submersed on top shelf, maybe if you grew it partially emersed it would grow differently? Dont know.


The bamboo came as very small cuttings, I put stem in soil at about 1/2 inch depth. It does not grow as prolifically as ( nor is it considered) a "true" bamboo. Read about it here:
https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticpl...-purple-bamboo


Have you read this on Pond-style aquarium?
https://buceplant.com/blogs/news/a-q...hrimpery-on-ig
Thanks! Maybe I'll try starting it partially emersed. If it doesn't work well I'll try the purple bamboo. I did see that Pond-style, its quite nice. In the video he made for the article he mentions that many of the emersed plants are grown in <=1" deep water, which wouldn't work for my purposes.
zdrc is online now  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
WinstonAMC's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Providence
Posts: 57
Thanks for the advice! Iím definitely going to try to add some of that purple bamboo


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WinstonAMC is online now  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome