3Likes
  • 1 Post By WinstonAMC
  • 2 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quick giant hairgrass question

Hey folks, so I know giant hairgrass can be grown emergent or fully aquatic. My question is will it grow emergent if planted aquatic and left to its own devices or will the leaves fold over along the surface of the water like softer leaved plants like vals? Ps, the tank Iím planting them in is 18Ē and Iím doing the DSM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonAMC View Post
Hey folks, so I know giant hairgrass can be grown emergent or fully aquatic. My question is will it grow emergent if planted aquatic and left to its own devices or will the leaves fold over along the surface of the water like softer leaved plants like vals? Ps, the tank Iím planting them in is 18Ē and Iím doing the DSM

I tried growing giant hairgrass in my opened top tank in hopes that it would grow up and out of the water but it just folded over at water line and grew lateral to top of water.

Here it is on the left hand side in picture below. I finally took it out and put in another aquarium and planted some Poaceaae sp. 'Purple Bamboo' instead. Just planted a few days ago so hoping it will give me some good emergent growth.

zdrc and Desert Pupfish like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 05:19 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I tried growing giant hairgrass in my opened top tank in hopes that it would grow up and out of the water but it just folded over at water line and grew lateral to top of water.

Here it is on the left hand side in picture below. I finally took it out and put in another aquarium and planted some Poaceaae sp. 'Purple Bamboo' instead. Just planted a few days ago so hoping it will give me some good emergent growth.

I'm interested in this too! I was going to do a Pond-style aquascape and I was thinking of having giant hairgrass as one of the emersed plants.

In you case, did the giant hairgrass start fully submersed?

Also, at what depth can you plant purple bamboo? Assuming it grows the same as normal bamboo, wouldn't maintaining the bamboo be a real chore?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdrc View Post
I'm interested in this too! I was going to do a Pond-style aquascape and I was thinking of having giant hairgrass as one of the emersed plants.

In you case, did the giant hairgrass start fully submersed?

Also, at what depth can you plant purple bamboo? Assuming it grows the same as normal bamboo, wouldn't maintaining the bamboo be a real chore?
The hairgrass did start fully submersed on top shelf, maybe if you grew it partially emersed it would grow differently? Dont know.

The bamboo came as very small cuttings, I put stem in soil at about 1/2 inch depth. It does not grow as prolifically as ( nor is it considered) a "true" bamboo. Read about it here:
https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticpl...-purple-bamboo

Have you read this on Pond-style aquarium?
https://buceplant.com/blogs/news/a-q...hrimpery-on-ig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 06:48 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
The hairgrass did start fully submersed on top shelf, maybe if you grew it partially emersed it would grow differently? Dont know.

The bamboo came as very small cuttings, I put stem in soil at about 1/2 inch depth. It does not grow as prolifically as ( nor is it considered) a "true" bamboo. Read about it here:
https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticpl...-purple-bamboo

Have you read this on Pond-style aquarium?
https://buceplant.com/blogs/news/a-q...hrimpery-on-ig
Thanks! Maybe I'll try starting it partially emersed. If it doesn't work well I'll try the purple bamboo. I did see that Pond-style, its quite nice. In the video he made for the article he mentions that many of the emersed plants are grown in <=1" deep water, which wouldn't work for my purposes.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice! Iím definitely going to try to add some of that purple bamboo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode