• 1 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By Grobbins48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wild Plant ID

Hello folks,

I am posting this is here in the hopes that either 1) folks will happen to know what I have on my hands, or 2) they can direct me other resources for figuring it out.

A few months ago I was out walking in central Maryland on a tributary off the Patapsco river when I noticed a few patches of green in a very small stream. They stood out because this was November and there had already been a few frosts so almost everything else was brown. This is what I saw:

I took a few cuttings and brought them home. Here is what I had:

Here is what they look like planted in my tank:

I had done this to a lot of plants and frankly most didn't do well but these grew even though at the time this tank was low tech. Actually they grew really well, putting on about 1/4" of height a day once established.

This was 2 months ago. I have cut the tops and replanted these at least 3 times. Now this tank is high tech and predictably the plants are growing even better, putting on 1/2" of height a day when established.

They have also transitioned to a fully submerged form and look like this:

The leaves are big, about 2 inches long.

The plant is growing upright with a round stem. The leaves have very small serrations.

Does anyone know either what this is or another resource (like a plant forum) that I could use to get more help figuring it out?

Thank you folks for any help.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 10:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

I am not sure, but @Maryland Guppy may have some insight. Curious to see what everyone says.
Maryland Guppy likes this.

|

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 06:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Maybe Callitriche stagnalis (Water Starwort)

Dont know much so just did a quick research of Maryland aquatic plants. Info does say its submerged growth has longer leaves usually that are thinner. Images looked similar to your floating specimens. Apparently hard to identify between species because water depth, flow, emergent/submerged growth can all have affects on leaf size and shape.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Maybe Callitriche stagnalis (Water Starwort)

Dont know much so just did a quick research of Maryland aquatic plants. Info does say its submerged growth has longer leaves usually that are thinner. Images looked similar to your floating specimens. Apparently hard to identify between species because water depth, flow, emergent/submerged growth can all have affects on leaf size and shape.
Thank you for the guess but its too small to be my mystery plant. One resource said the leaves are 4mm in length. Mine are 2 inches. Also Stagnalis has no serrations on the leaves. What did you use to find maryland aquatic plants? Definitely interested in any good resources.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@minorhero just did a search on wild aquatic plants Maryland. Granted there's not alot like out here in PNW but sometimes u can find various departments one being invasive species, others being published studies from universities stuff like that.

Reason I thought maybe that was it in some reference (would have to look again) it mentioned if growing submerged the leaves would get 5 to 10cm in length and the shape would be different then the emersed growth on top of water.

Anyhow hopefully someone can chime in that's more knowledgeable then myself, or has better Google fu.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
I am not sure, but @Maryland Guppy may have some insight. Curious to see what everyone says.
I've grown many local plants but they don't quite look like this one.

Maybe @Tinanti can assist???

Growing is not that difficult.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Maybe Penthorum sedoides, aka Ditch stonecrop?

https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticpl...horum-sedoides
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
This is a Veronica species. It's either americana or anagallis-aquatica. I'll look into it more later.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Tinanti thanks for figuring that out, was curious what it was gonna end up being. Just saw a picture that the person listed as veronica aquatica and it looks just like minorheros first two pics.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinanti View Post
This is a Veronica species. It's either americana or anagallis-aquatica. I'll look into it more later.
The creeping habit of anagallis-aquatica definitely looks like my mystery plant. The one thing that still gives me pause is that the emersed form of my mystery plant has a very long petiole, almost as long as the leaf itself. None of the Veronica species I can find have a long petiole. They do look like the submerged form though.

By way of furthering this (and or just confirming) I am going to try to get this plant to flower. To that end I took a couple of cuttings and put them in a cup filled with soil capped with sand and then flooded the cup so all the substrate is underwater. The plants a few hours later look pretty wilty, if they survive and transition back to emersed growth, then hopefully I will get a flower out of them.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-11-2020 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode