2Likes
  • 1 Post By Draeon
  • 1 Post By Nature Freak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Greetings from my 60gal planted tank!

Today I have questions about the apparently rare and mysterious Fissidens Nobilis, which I purchased some months ago and am having a difficult time understanding how it works.

To lead into this, let me just say that my plants are doing incredibly. My hairgrass is propagating like mad, I'm trimming and planting every two weeks (working on growing enough to have a curtain of the stuff against the back of the tank and so far it's going pretty well). My cryptocoryne has EXPLODED in the last month, from a little shrub lf <10 leaves to a beautiful almost 30 leaf bush four times it's original diameter. My Ludwigia is growing about 1/3-3/4inch a week, so much so that I've replanted enough times from my original 5 stalks to create a small sapling-forest like zone in a corner if the tank, and the trimmed stalks product a new sprig after about a week. My Madagascar lace went from 6 7" leaves to about 20, and they're so tall they reach the surface of the tank and then curl over a mushroom cloud- it's really quite the sight. Guppy grass is coming along, and the single stray piece of flame moss that made it into my tank with some amanos has turned into three separate large tangled sprouts about five to seven inches long... The tank is clearly healthy, the plants are flourishing.

And then there's this F. Nobilis... I bought a square of it back when I first bought the lace plant, it has to have been three almost four months now. First it kind of did that thing java fern sometimes do, where it's dark purpleish/blackish but has clear strong structure and dark green accents around the edges. I can't seem to figure out how to really care for it or propagate it though. Finally now after months, it seems the f. Nobilis is propagating, very bright green new fern sprouts are growing from it and my amanos keep it completely spotless and free of debris or hair algae. I feel like maybe it had an adjustment period? I'm really not sure, I don't have a ton of experience with mosses. Does anyone have an experience plucking and replanting the nobilis? Do I need to tie it to a new mesh? Any help is always appreciated, I just want to understand my plant better so I can care for it.

Included are some pictures moatly of the lace plant, for reference of growth. From november 20th to yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03865970-8D69-4747-B06C-54EA70EE8ADF_1580918416288.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	892935  

Name:	EEF7F85F-81BA-4288-B4F1-96CDF4005308_1580918431426.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	892937  

Name:	E002349E-4877-419B-BEA5-5ABB4E3598E8_1580918446902.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	892939  

Name:	275CE963-E695-4385-926A-FAF7EDA5AAA3_1580918496925.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	892941  

Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Last edited by Draeon; 02-05-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nobody? Nobody has any tips for this moss at all? No experience?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 06:22 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have F fontanus, but no experience with nobilis. Most mosses grow very slowly and are pretty undemanding. My only advice would be to leave it in one place and let it settle in. Perhaps someone with experience with this species will chime in with more.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 05:07 AM
Algae Grower

Belatedly....what is your water temperature?

Most mosses need cool temps.

I've tried a bunch of different fissidens in my tropical tank and none survived.

The bits I saved in some water on a cool windowsill are vivid green and doing wonderfully.

Your tank looks stunning BTW!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I meant your Madagascar Lace looks stunning

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-14-2020 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you! I swear every time I look at it it's gotten bigger! I'm at 22 leaves now and I grow about one from sprout to full size in six to ten days. My amano shrimp are using the lowest height leaves as an algae farm (no seriously they plant algae and harvest it later, the dastardly little farmers!) and eat a whole leaf, algae and all, once the plant starts to shed it, about once every week. But it sprouts a new leaf about every four days so it just keeps growing, and growing, and growing... I'm hoping it will throw a blossom soon so I can pollinate it!

I keep the tank at 76. I recently recalibrated my heater, actually, using a digital thermometer on the opposite corner of the tank. Water changes are 25% weekly, with ro water that has warmed/cooled to room temperature, usually the tank drops to about 75 immediately after a change and the peak recorded temp over the last month was about 76.6 (this is all farenheit). The moss is of course at the bottom, fairly far away from the heater, I'd guess it stays between 75.5 and 76 down there.

Recent measurements in the tank were:
ph7.4, ammonia 0 or too low to measure, nitrites 0 or too low to measure, nitrates between 10-20, kh of 1 gh of 2.
Occasionally I supplement iron into the substrate via a syringe with 3ft needle, and flourish measured to ml per gallon by syringe along the surface.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode