What causes plants to melt once planted? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I bought a cup of some stem plants and planted most of them in one spot in my tank. Now, this spot is specifically a flow dead zone and lots of detritus ends up sitting there. I do clean that spot when water changing though. Still, it definitely gets light.

I had a few baby stems from the cup left over and let them float in my tank while I figure out what to do with them. It's been about 3 days. The floating plants are still healthy and green but most of the ones I planted are melting.

Is this normal and will they return, or I doing something wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
I bought a cup of some stem plants and planted most of them in one spot in my tank. Now, this spot is specifically a flow dead zone and lots of detritus ends up sitting there. I do clean that spot when water changing though. Still, it definitely gets light.

I had a few baby stems from the cup left over and let them float in my tank while I figure out what to do with them. It's been about 3 days. The floating plants are still healthy and green but most of the ones I planted are melting.

Here is the answer to your question.
Quote:
Now, this spot is specifically a flow dead zone and lots of detritus ends up sitting there. I do clean that spot when water changing though. Still, it definitely gets light
Flow dead = little Co2 and little fertilizer availability. This coupled with high light causes them to get burned out.

Detritus = possible ammonia levels around the new stems. In my experience more then trace level ammonia causes my plants to not do well. I've had issues with ammonia where given a high enough level (2+ppm) it would burn the plants and turn the stems soft.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post

Here is the answer to your question.
Quote:
Now, this spot is specifically a flow dead zone and lots of detritus ends up sitting there. I do clean that spot when water changing though. Still, it definitely gets light
Flow dead = little Co2 and little fertilizer availability. This coupled with high light causes them to get burned out.

Detritus = possible ammonia levels around the new stems. In my experience more then trace level ammonia causes my plants to not do well. I've had issues with ammonia where given a high enough level (2+ppm) it would burn the plants and turn the stems soft.
Thanks, that was my guess. What I'm going to do is move some bacopa stem plants that have become emersed over to this spot and see what happens.

People warned me about dead spots but in all honestly I'm not sure how I'd fix a dead spot that is essentially under my outflow

I took some pics of the area. It sits between the inflow and outflow. I thought the inflow would have kept that area moving but there is a clear cutoff where plants will grow or not grow past the inflow pipe. Notice the two stems that grew up and out for an example.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200204_125258_1580859444755.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	892905  

Name:	20200204_125311_1580859455490.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	892907  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-05-2020 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update here. I maneuvered my lily pipes in a way that got rid of dead zones. It's not perfect and does cause a little turbulence in the center of the tank but I don't have any other options with the way I set up my hardscape and tubing.

The inflow is now in the middle of the old dead zone and the outflow pushes the water all the way around the tank. The weakest spot for flow is the front left as some dead floating plant leaves never make their way back and instead circle in the middle. Well, they make it, but it takes a long time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200210_092510_1581365332818.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	893173  

Name:	20200210_092459_1581368285302.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	893175  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode