What stem plants grow like weed in your tank - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 01:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Cabomba caroliniana for me, but is banned in California, Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Washington state because it's such a weed. Check your plants for legality before you buy, the fastest growers may be on the naughty list and "the man" has knocked on some forum members doors as seen in other threads. Just sayin...

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Ranunculus inundatus is the one for me.
Runners will jump across the tank very quickly during the week.
40-50 can end up in the trash over a weeks time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Left to it's own devices would spread and choke out the whole tank.
Hence the name "inundatus"?
Greggz and Maryland Guppy like this.

Last edited by Desert Pupfish; 02-01-2020 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Quotes
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 12:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pogostemon stellatus "octopus." I planted 20 stems, each about 4 inches long, on 12/15/19. It was slow at first, but then took off. By week four, the tops were floating across the tank and, though it looked kinda cool, I trimmed them back. The stems had become really thick in places, too... like between an eighth-inch and a quarter-inch. Because there was so much of the stuff already growing, I just tossed the trimmings instead of replanting. And of course I'm getting branching at the trim points, and will probably need to trim again next week. It's crazy.

My tank is a 30-long, with 3-year old Amazonia under gravel, PAR value of ~50 at the substrate, and I dose 3mL of NilocG Liquid Macros and Micros every other day. I re-scaped this aquarium last month, and wanted the whole back of the tank to be one wall of a single plant. I considered Italian Val, but chose this. The other stem plants I've tried in the past -- Mayaca fluviatilis and Proserpinaca palustris -- failed fairly quickly.

post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkedUp View Post
Pogostemon stellatus "octopus." I planted 20 stems, each about 4 inches long, on 12/15/19. It was slow at first, but then took off. By week four, the tops were floating across the tank and, though it looked kinda cool, I trimmed them back. The stems had become really thick in places, too... like between an eighth-inch and a quarter-inch. Because there was so much of the stuff already growing, I just tossed the trimmings instead of replanting. And of course I'm getting branching at the trim points, and will probably need to trim again next week. It's crazy.

My tank is a 30-long, with 3-year old Amazonia under gravel, PAR value of ~50 at the substrate, and I dose 3mL of NilocG Liquid Macros and Micros every other day. I re-scaped this aquarium last month, and wanted the whole back of the tank to be one wall of a single plant. I considered Italian Val, but chose this. The other stem plants I've tried in the past -- Mayaca fluviatilis and Proserpinaca palustris -- failed fairly quickly.
If you go by plant profile, Pogostemon stellatu is rated moderate to difficult. It’s surprising that it grows like weed in your tank. On the other hand, Proserpinaca palustris, rated easy to moderate, failed in your tank, but does fine in mine, not weedy but slow and steady.

It’s informative that you specified your growing conditions so I can compare experience on the same basis. 50PAR at the substrate is what I have and typical of Amano ADA setups. The behavior of stem plants IME under medium light is highly variable, some take off, some just hang on, and others fail. If I had high light, 100+PAR, I guess variability is not much a factor.
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 11:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
I tried rotala rotundifolia, Ludwigian repens, mermaid weed, limophilia aromatica, and a few other species of the said genus, and none grow fast, often developed weak root and bare lower stems.
I believe the reason you have had success with only one plant is because it is the only one that can deal with a nutrient deficiency you might have. It would be helpful to know what fertilizers you are using.

Bare lower stems could be a sign of nutrient deficiency issues with one of the mobile nutrients (N,P,K,Mg, Cl). Mg deficiency is the most common. And it is often associated with low GH soft water. I have read that chlorine deficiency can cause stunted roots but I have not seen it.
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
I believe the reason you have had success with only one plant is because it is the only one that can deal with a nutrient deficiency you might have. It would be helpful to know what fertilizers you are using.

Bare lower stems could be a sign of nutrient deficiency issues with one of the mobile nutrients (N,P,K,Mg, Cl). Mg deficiency is the most common. And it is often associated with low GH soft water. I have read that chlorine deficiency can cause stunted roots but I have not seen it.
I dose macros and micros weekly, chelated iron every other day, and substrate is dolomite gravel so plenty of Ca and Mg. All non stem (annubias, Java fern, bolbitis, Buce, sword and crypt) are thriving, so there is no nutrient deficiency, just not enough light many stems prefer. So I chose only easy stems. Most are holding, but not vigorous.
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 04:55 PM

Is Anacharis considered a stem plant? if so, they grow like wildfire! I love how fast they grow! I use to have a lot of them in my tanks when i was in CT however now that I am in SC i can no longer get them because they arent allowed to be shipped to the state. sucks
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 06:13 PM
Algae Grower

I grew a lot of rotalas some green some red. The problem was I only have a 10 gallon so I couldnít keep up with the growth. I kept pulling out stems cutting them then replanting the tops. Finally, after two years, I have removed my last stem and I am doing a grow-out with my dwarf hair grass, microsword in the background and trying to get a little bit of dwarf baby tears to grow. all the best, john
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 06:56 PM
Algae Grower

What stem plants grow like weed in your tank

I think my fastest growing plant was Ludwigia inclinata red. Itís growth was so explosive, I got rid of it after a 2 week trial (mind you... this was in a high-tech tank).

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tankful in Vancouver

Last edited by CRS Fan; 02-03-2020 at 09:26 PM.
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I kept a nearly no tech (had a heater) high light soil based tank, no co2 or liquid co2. Myriophyllum Mattogrossense grew like a weed in that environment. Finally took the tank down because I was so lazy about trimming it and it was smothering out my other stems.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 09:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I'm surprised no one mentioned pearlweed.

20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0
post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 07:07 AM
Algae Grower

Hands down fastest aquarium plant for anyone IMO will be floaters namely water lettuce

Ambulia and another that looks like abulia but is orange/red grow very fast upwards, but their speed of rooting and shooting outwards is very slow and the stems seem to melt at the soil. I have a layer of mineralized organic soil below, then a mix of fluorite black and fluval stratum above. So it's not anaerobic, but they don't seem to root with a whole lot of vigor.

ironically the one that grows the fastest I haven't identified. Too lazy to post a thread. Looks a lot like a hydrophilia though and was actually a bonus mystery plant on an eBay order. Also ironically the one I actually wanted out of the order promptly melted died. But I'm happy with these ones too.

strangely enough my flame moss is growing super fast. Not what I expected out of it. It's outpacing my java moss by far
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 07:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquapadawan View Post
ironically the one I haven't identified. Looks a lot like a hydrophilia though and was actually a bonus mystery plant on an eBay order. Also ironically the one I actually wanted out of the order promptly melted died. But I'm happy with these ones too.
Can you share a photo of it? Perhaps some our plant gurus on here can help ID it for you
post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here are pics of my weedy Hygrophila polysperma sunset on the right in just two week post pruning, versus skinny Luwidgea and shorty Mermaid weed and Limno aromatica on the left you can barely see. They are under the same light, but one stem grows weedy, others weakly. The Annubias surround them are doing fantastic with flowers blooming constantly, so the environmental conditions are fine for the right plants.

I am tossed up between choosing stems that grow too weedy that I need to prune frequently versus struggling stems that remain skinny and weak. I’m looking for Goldilock stems that don’t grow too fast or too slow, just reach maximum height and stop, and stay fully up and bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FE694E4C-365A-4337-AB56-21D80E94E441.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	893213  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2CB14BC2-21DA-4413-8BFE-E0A0DD202832.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	893215  

post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 12:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Duckweed!

...Oh, you said stem plants. Anacharis, rotala sp. 'green', and watersprite have all gone nuts for me. Like, I'm on the verge of getting rid of the watersprite and rotala because they keep taking over my tanks and I have no room for them. I had the anacharis years ago when I first started, but I killed it when I added salt to the tank. I remember it growing very fast, even with little light or fertilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
I am tossed up between choosing stems that grow too weedy that I need to prune frequently versus struggling stems that remain skinny and weak. I’m looking for Goldilock stems that don’t grow too fast or too slow, just reach maximum height and stop, and stay fully up and bottom.
If you find such mythical stems, please send me a PM.

Proud member of

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode