What stem plants grow like weed in your tank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 10:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
This is exactly what I was going to say! When things are going good, even the 'slow' growers can only last a couple of weeks before hitting the top!
Yeah I just beat the heck out of mine two weeks ago and it's out of control again.

But there are some weeds I had to get rid of...Ambulia, Myrio red stem, Hygro Polysperma to name a few.....Pantanal is the worst but I can't quit it!
burr740 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Pretty much everything in different ways.
Rotala wallichii is really the only plant that grows as it should.
Rotala rotundifolia grows horizontally, too much light?
Ludwigia repens 'green' grows kind of slow, but it also grows slightly horizontally and branches at every node.
Ludwigia repens regular? (orange/red/brown leaves) grows faster then 'green' but it doesn't branch and it has 2x larger leaves then 'green'.
Staurogyne repens and hygrophila pinnatifida growth is more subtle without taking photos you really can't tell it's growing, but in a week it can easily grow 0.5 of it's total volume in all directions.
Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Now take this with grain of salt ...... my low tech tank with fluval 3.0 light and using thrive ferts and thrive tabs I get pretty good growth but its slow. One thing I noticed with almost every stem plant so far is the original plant kind of hangs on and takes a while but will start to grow, however if I crop the top and plant that the top portion grows much better with extensive roots and off shoots. They may stay shorter but look much much better overall. Usually takes a couple weeks after planting the tops that they take off (well what I consider taking off for my setup).

Wisteria grows probably the fastest. Sorry I dont know all the names of the others I have. Most of the java ferns grow like crazy, the mini buces or anubius (not sure which ones) grow very well also. The amazon sword species goes nuts as long as I remember to give root tabs and keep up on ferts as they are hogs from what I can tell.
HairyNoseWombat likes this.

post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Won't agree with you there. ADA setups run a pretty wide range from Iwagumi to stem dominated scapes. The lights are usually lowered or raised depending on what the setup is.
I did not make it up. Tom Barr went to an ADA convention and brought with him a PAR meter and was surprised by the low light intensity he measured, all in the 30s to 50s PAR range at the bottom. His measurements were from one convention, so he canít speak for all conventions.

https://barrreport.com/threads/ada-l...who-knew.4865/
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 12:32 AM
Planted Member

My best, and fastest growing stem plant is Pogostemon Stellata. I planted two, 3 inch plants two weeks ago. I have to cut tops off every couple days and replant !

post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 12:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
I did not make it up. Tom Barr went to an ADA convention and brought with him a PAR meter and was surprised by the low light intensity he measured, all in the 30s to 50s PAR range at the bottom. His measurements were from one convention, so he canít speak for all conventions.

https://barrreport.com/threads/ada-l...who-knew.4865/
Not necessarily disputing the PAR numbers, I'm saying that plenty of ADA tanks are stem heavy, plus they have carpets. They use/used MH 250s on the big tanks so I guess someone can do that math. 10" above the water line plus 20" tank depth or so. The lights are raised or lowered depending on what they are growing.
HairyNoseWombat likes this.

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedledee View Post
My best, and fastest growing stem plant is Pogostemon Stellata. I planted two, 3 inch plants two weeks ago. I have to cut tops off every couple days and replant !
Plant profile says that Pogostemon stellata is moderate to difficult. Difficult or weedy depends on light intensity. So do you have high light?
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
+1 for the Hygrophila difformis & Sunset. Just got some H. pinnatifida & balasamica, so will be interested to see if they grow as quickly.

Hornwort planted in the substrate can grow to the surface in 2-3 days, but quickly loses its lower leaves in medium light, so isn't a desirable stem plant long term. I use it as a nutrient sponge in new tanks to prevent algae blooms, and it's great for hiding fry.

Water sprite is another extremely fast grower.

Not technically a stem plant, but jungle val can quickly cover the surface with leaves 3'-4' long, and put out runners that will take over the entire tank if you don't keep on top of it.

Should we have a contest to what grows fastest?
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 02:15 AM
Algae Grower

I know its some Rotala but no idea what type.

From this

To this in about 4 to 6 weeks

That whole mess started as 2 tissue culture pots of Rotala, I just keep trimming it and replanting the trimmings.
Deedledee likes this.
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Ranunculus inundatus is the one for me.
Runners will jump across the tank very quickly during the week.
40-50 can end up in the trash over a weeks time.
Greggz and Asteroid like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 03:28 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyNoseWombat View Post
I know its some Rotala but no idea what type.

From this

To this in about 4 to 6 weeks

That whole mess started as 2 tissue culture pots of Rotala, I just keep trimming it and replanting the trimmings.
I'd guess rotala indica but I can't see a close up so no quotes 😉

At least I can grow Algae
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 03:32 AM
Algae Grower

Pretty much any sort of hygro grows like a weed for me. Pearl weed is also one of those that grows fast despite the terrible conditions I have out it through

I'm not sure if you would consider it a stem plant but whenever I give Monte Carlo what it wants it takes off like a bat out of hell

At least I can grow Algae
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 03:40 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
Plant profile says that Pogostemon stellata is moderate to difficult. Difficult or weedy depends on light intensity. So do you have high light?
I planted the P.Stellata just over 2 weeks ago. I have the Fluval 3.0 LED, so yes it is very high intensity, and am using the Pro setting. I was told by a guy at my lfs that yes, it could be difficult, however it is currently one of the easiest stems I have grown. I also have Tropica substrate /root tabs,and dose Thrive every other day. I should mention, this tank has been going for 3.5 years. A few weeks ago I changed my substrate,ripped out all my old plants, and replanted all new Tropica tissue cultures. It's going pretty well so far !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P.Stellata.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	892709  

post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 04:44 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Guppy grass, Najas najas. Worst part it is brittle, so it is difficult to get rid of

Potamogeton crispus was one that I would have 3 to 4 foot stems in my 250gallon
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Ranunculus inundatus is the one for me.
Runners will jump across the tank very quickly during the week.
40-50 can end up in the trash over a weeks time.
Forgot about that one.

Had it only for about a month and had to say goodbye. Left to it's own devices would spread and choke out the whole tank.
Maryland Guppy likes this.

---
---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode