Nitrogen deficiency? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Seattle_Aquarist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nitrogen deficiency?

Hello guys!

All my plants seems to have nitrogen defficiency but my api test show nitrates at 40 ppm - 80 ppm if i dont make water change.

i have 6 hour of ligth. High ligth with a twinstar 600EA. Co2 is on 2 hours before ligths and turn off at same time of ligth, always hitting a dark green on the co2 indicator.

the planta shows new leaves good and green, but the old ones seems to be brown, but really they are getting transparent.

I do 1-2 30%-50% water changes each week.

I dont know what to do, beacuse test says it have enough nitrates, but planta shows symptons of nitrogen defficiency.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4B1A4703-87E8-4EAD-BA2A-DB808C5AD886_1579964230384.png
Views:	48
Size:	988.3 KB
ID:	892305  

Click image for larger version

Name:	F4E57945-8308-454E-83E4-14A6EEB35E1D_1579964245397.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	4.91 MB
ID:	892307  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 02:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

Light and CO2 look good.

Could be N, as you are describing a possible mobile nutrient problem. However, can you paint a full picture, first:

- Current NO3, PO4, GH, KH, pH and TDS readings?
- What you are dosing (product and quantity) and how often?
- Substrate type and how long has it been in place?
- What is your filter setup?
- Cleaning regimen (filter and water change frequency and amount)?
- Circulation: surface rippling and are all plants gently moving from top to bottom?
- What is your water source and do you use a water softener?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi @Ommikaki,

Welcome to TPT!

If it is the older leaves that are having issues but the newer leaves look good that would indicate the problem is one of the "'mobile" nutrients. The mobile nutrients include all of the macro-nutrients (nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus), the secondary nutrients magnesium, and various micro-nutrients including chloride and nickel.

I was not able to open the picture but it appears you are using nilocg.com Thrive, which one? Thrive, Thrive +, Thrive S, or Thrive C?

Tell me a little about the water you are using. Does it go through a water softener in your home? Are you using RO water? What part of the world do you live in? If the United States specifically where? I might be able to get some information about the water chemistry from your local water company.

-Roy

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

It was nitrogen deficiency! My api test was showing wrong results for nitrates. It shows 40-80ppm. I change to a seachem nitrite and nitrate and it shows 5ppm.

I start dosing more ferts. 50% more and everything seems to go better, ill show some pics later.

Thaks yall
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
API test could be right and the seachem could be wrong too...I have seen "nitrogen" deficiency caused by potassium deficiency. Especially important if you are feeding NO3 as your main N source as K is required for N transport. Furthermore, they present themselves similarly. The difference in N vs K deficiency is quite subtle. "Pinholing" is actually pretty uncommon symptom of K deficiency.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 01:56 AM
Algae Grower

Ironically in this hobby tests can be misleading. Api's nitrate test is horrible if you dont beat the #2 bottle for a few minutes before doing the test. It's also vague in my opinion.

I definitely wouldnt assume this is solved yet until its clear what ferts your also using.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi All,

I'm going to step forward and say that the API Nitrogen Test kit is not as bad as some may believe. I keep stock solutions of 100 ppm of NO3 for calibration. I dilute the stock solution with distilled water to get 80 ppm, 40 ppm, 20 ppm, and 10 ppm test solutions. The API Nitrogen Test Kits I have purchased are 'right on the numbers' with the solution colors matching the card colors. Regrettably I think some folks repeat what they read online about various test kits and don't actually check how accurate they are themselves.
Quesenek and Quint like this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode