• 1 Post By DaveKS
  • 1 Post By Streetwise
  • 1 Post By Streetwise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Almost certain it's not a buce

I was at one of my LFS the other day and picked up this plant that was ID'd as a buce (can't remember which kind). Well, I went looking to try to figure out what kind and nothing in that category fits that plant, at least that I could find. Well, yesterday I was looking at mosses online and found what I think it is but I can't be certain so I thought I'd ask here.

There are no roots that I can see and the plant just kind of naturally stays in a ball at the bottom of the tank but it's made up of a bunch of different leaves.

I can try to take a better picture if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mystery plant.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	362.5 KB
ID:	891899  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 08:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Subwassertang, a free floating member of fern family.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 08:13 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Yeah, I think I'd call my LFS over that mixup if you paid for a Buce. Buce are some of the priciest plants in the hobby and Sub moss is ...well, not.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Subwassertang, a free floating member of fern family.

That's what I thought it was. Thank you!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Yeah, I think I'd call my LFS over that mixup if you paid for a Buce. Buce are some of the priciest plants in the hobby and Sub moss is ...well, not.

I'll bring it up when I go in next time. I only paid a few dollars for it and it was the last one he had so at least no one else will buy one on accident.

It doesn't really fit with what I was planning, but I like it so I'll figure something out for it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
It looks like it would be a good plant for shrimp or fish fry to hide in.

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
It looks like it would be a good plant for shrimp or fish fry to hide in.

That it does. I plan on getting some Amano shrimp so hopefully they'll like it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:54 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I like it in shrimp tanks. One thing I'll mention just because it's happened to me and driven me mad -don't put java moss in the tank with it. I've had the two mix into a messy ball in 3 tanks lately. And neither are exactly easy to get out of an aquarium once they've gotten good footing.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Sucks to get the wrong thing, would definitely talk to them about that so no one else gets screwed in future shipments of plants put out for sale there.
side note: don't dose Seachem excel in the tank with subwasertang-it doesn't like that stuff and will melt.

Never trust any lfs to know anything about this hobby-fish,plants,care, anything. There are some exceptions-but you're better off researching everything yourself first and going in knowing what you are looking for/what to avoid. Plenty of places will say/label things with whatever they think will get them a sale (can you tell I'm a little jagged from bad experiences early on in my adventures into the hobby?).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I like it in shrimp tanks. One thing I'll mention just because it's happened to me and driven me mad -don't put java moss in the tank with it. I've had the two mix into a messy ball in 3 tanks lately. And neither are exactly easy to get out of an aquarium once they've gotten good footing.

Very very good to know.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You may already know this, but Amano Shrimp won’t breed in freshwater.

Cheers

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Sucks to get the wrong thing, would definitely talk to them about that so no one else gets screwed in future shipments of plants put out for sale there.
side note: don't dose Seachem excel in the tank with subwasertang-it doesn't like that stuff and will melt.

Never trust any lfs to know anything about this hobby-fish,plants,care, anything. There are some exceptions-but you're better off researching everything yourself first and going in knowing what you are looking for/what to avoid. Plenty of places will say/label things with whatever they think will get them a sale (can you tell I'm a little jagged from bad experiences early on in my adventures into the hobby?).

I'm glad you said something about the Excel. I'll keep that off my list.

I'm actually really surprised this happened at this LFS because this guy is really good usually. Of all the local stores his is the cleanest, his fish look the healthiest, and he's given me the best information. I'll definitely bring it up to him, although I'm sure it was an honest mistake.

Bump:
Quote:
You may already know this, but Amano Shrimp won’t breed in freshwater.

Cheers

I actually did know that, but thank you!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It was actually a stealth hint to breed some Neocaridina or Caridina so we can see shrimp babies in the Süsswassertang! 😉

Cheers
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
It was actually a stealth hint to breed some Neocaridina or Caridina so we can see shrimp babies in the Süsswassertang! 😉

Cheers

I'll have to get another tank for that since this one is destined to be a betta tank.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That makes perfect sense! Amano Shrimp just do their thing. I haven’t seen one get snacked on yet.
JustAGirl_FL likes this.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 01-15-2020 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Details

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode